Router settings, Not TECH SAVVY

Hi

A

m not technology savvy so if someone would be kind enough to take me though how to make my router secure and anything that woukd make it so no one can access the router or use my WiFi it would be appreciated.

Am with the post office on fibre using a router called ZYXEL VMG3925-B1OB

Also i have a outside pan and tilt cctv camera that is wireless but i use a ethernet cable, i recently downloaded a app called ONIVER and this can detect my cctv from just my router by a scan but when i done this i input the ip address off my router and it showed the CCTV in all its glory without me inputting the CCTV main apps username and password.

So i was bit concerned that if someone downloaded the same app and scanned it woukd come up woth the ip address off my camera 192.168.1.207

This then would let them control the CCTV.

Any help steo by step in securing my router would be grateful and if i need to change ie UNP or NAT.

I dont know how to port forward either.

Best Answers

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 828
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

What is the model of your camera?

As long as someone doesn't have access to your network they won't have access to your camera.

✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Unfortunately I have no knowledge of that camera or application. But the way these devices work is by connecting to your WiFi as you know, only a device connected to your local network by cable or WiFi would be able to monitor your camera.

That scan of 192.168.1.1 is your router, it has some services I would disable if you don't use them (ssh,ftp,telnet,smb). Being port 443 is enabled it might mean remote administration is enabled which is very bad, I would verify that isn't enabled.

Also I would change the WiFi SSID (name you see and connect to) and the WiFi password if you never have. I would also change the password you use to login to the router. Keep in mind you should write all this down somewhere, and once you change the WiFi SSID and password you will need to re-login all your wireless devices.

I can't tell you how to do any of this but perhaps this page will help a bit:

Lifeguard74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Potentially if enable yes your router could be logged into from the Internet, even with a password it would be a hacking target.

Just because port 445 (https) is enabled doesn't mean remote administration is enabled, but it may and certainly shouldn't be.

Good job on changing the router password, that is one of the more important things as no one can go in and open ports and such.

Lifeguard74
  • Lifeguard74Lifeguard74 Member Posts: 8
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    Accepted Answer

@rooted

I have just had a read of the article you sent me and i just wanted to say ITS AMAZING thats a bookmark to me for a long time as the article is so well written and the presentation well A*. 👏👏👏

If you look on the net for this sort of advice it comes up with all sorts of information thats different from the one you read before.

But your article WOW if i could have the power to award MBEs out you would be awarded the following.

MBE = THE KNOWLEDGEABLE ADVICE FOR INTERNET ISSUES..

But unfortunately i dont have them powers and if i did i would take away a lot of MBE ETC from celebrities and people who dont ever deserve them.

Sorry off topic 😂

Your a 🌟 many thanks again.

Simon

rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I'm happy it helped, if you run into any trouble don't hesitate to post.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Lifeguard74

Answers

@R_1200_R

@rooted thanks for replying much appreciated the CCTV Camera is a Chinese make (pics below) its a great camera my problem is that if i use the app for the camera i have a username and password bit if you download onifier app it pops up and all you do is press the plus sign and it automatically detects my CCTV camera, Then it comes up with the ip address and two boxes one for username and one for password.

Now this is strange and am thinking anyone of my neighbours can do view the CCTV as you dont have to put a username and password in the box's.

So am not sure if it need port forwarding or the camera going on a private ip address, i dont know as my router settings are probably no were near watertight.

Also when i done a port check on my phone on it came up with the router ports open below,.

I dont know what they mean if my router is safe, if i should reset it and go from there.

Sorry am not technically savvy when it comes to routers.

Simon

Regards Simon

rooted

@rooted many thanks for the quick response to the question.

I will have a good read off the article.

When you say one off them is very bad in what way IE some people can access my router?

My router password is changed i done that straight away.

With regards the other ports i will jave to read up on jow to do this on my router as there's so much stuff when you log in i never kniw were to go with it 🙈.

Anyway many thanks again i really appreciate it.

Simon

rooted