[RESOURCE] Cat 5, 5e, 6, 6A and Cat 7 info source

AlbertAlbert Member Posts: 97
25 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭
edited February 2020 in Network Infrastructure
Hija Folks...
While getting ready to work on the cabling in our LAN I decided to do some research on the various cable categories. During that research I stumbled on a series on extremely well written articles on this subject by a USA company engineer.  As this forum exists to share knowledge, I decided to post the link here. Please understand... I am a novice in this area and NON-Biased and well written articles are hard to come by. Being in Ireland and the company based in the USA I cant buy from them but the articles in my opinion are absolutely EXCELLENT. Like most novices... i would have fallen into the trap that says... the higher the number, the better. ( Heh.... Cat8 must be the "Bees Knees".... right ?  NO... nor for me.... if i Even manged to crimp a connector on that cable from hell.   )As i will not in this life be running 10Gig speeds...I am settling on Cat 6.  and will crimp to the T568B standard. I have one cable outdoor run very close on 400 feet and while cat 5e does the job, it struggles. Sadly.. I laid that cable in 2000 and there was nothing much better available at that time and CAT categories were an unknown subject for me. 
Here is the link: 
www.truecable.com/blogs/cable-academy
ENJOY !!!

(Edit: Changed subject line to reflect that this information is a network resource -klt)
pwmeekLong_John_SliverMarcrootedRobinCiaranPixelpopperxpeetxGlennyW_T_FSyndikatGlobal

Comments

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @Albert, this is a great resource to use when the question arises on what Ethernet category will be right for their environment.

I changed the subject to reflect that this is a resource that we'll want to keep in our archives.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Pablo
  • AlbertAlbert Member Posts: 97
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Ken, am delighted it is of use. I've written to Don Schultz to tell him how useful his blog is.
    Albert
    Long_John_SliverW_T_F
  • Jon_IrishJon_Irish Member, Beta Tester Posts: 37
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    As far as a cable vendor goes, I online Monoprice SlimRun Cat6A Ethernet Patch Cable
  • Long_John_SliverLong_John_Sliver Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
    5 Likes Photogenic First Comment

Excellent resource!

Albert
    ✭✭✭
    John. TKS ! for the feedback !  the Sysops might post a  RJ45 Connector crimping/installation blog over the weekend. Keep eye on this section in case it is of interest?
    Long_John_Sliver
  • GeeklordGeeklord Member Posts: 7
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment

Nice resource.

Maybe the summary I put together for my renovation might also be of help to some.

Cat 6 location requirements:

All Cat 6 installations should be direct runs from the distribution point.

Brush plates should be used rather than RJ45 plates as it reduces any additional points of failure. 

Cables must be accurately labelled at each end.

Diagram/photos of cable/wiring paths required for future reference.

Cat 6 installation standards:

Single cable runs should be under 50m.

Each cable should be run from the box to avoid cable bundling and damage.

Pulls should be low tension (under 11kg/25lbs), using cable pull lubricant if necessary.

Bend radius should be a minimum of 4 times the diameter of cable i.e. coke can for runs and no more than 15mm at ends to avoid kinks, knotting, or degradation.

Minimum 12 inch/300mm distance from EMI sources such as power cable, light fixtures, and transformers if there is a need to run in parallel. Increase to 450mm if the parallel run continues for more than 2m.

EMI sources should be crossed at 90 degree cross.

Cat 6 UTP solid copper core, no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminium) or stranded patch cable.

No tight crimp stapling, T-59 insulated staple gun is ok.

At termination cables should have no more than 0.5 inch untwisted.

J-hooks are recommended for cable support while avoiding stress.

Any unterminated runs to have 3m at the equipment end and 30 cm at the backbox

Cables buried in screed or plaster to be run in conduit.

Any use of shielded Cat 6 needs to ensure all accessories have compatible shielding and are properly terminated.

AlbertLong_John_Sliver
    ✭✭✭
    Geeklord.
    Excellent set of  tips.  Ask the Sysops to turn this into a RESOURCE. I am putting up  overnight a detailed post on how to  terminate RJ45's.
    One thing if I may.... WHY the single cable run max of 50 meters.? Technically, as long as you don't exceed 100 meters you should be ok.
    Albert
  • GeeklordGeeklord Member Posts: 7
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment

@kltaylor could you please turn my prior post into a resource too. Thanks.

@Albert thanks. You're quite right. I did a quick search of all the old references I had from back then and for life of me I can't see why I wrote 50. Although, I was coming at it partly from an HDBaseT angle to run HD audio/video/power between a matrix and receivers and had some separate POE requirements for CCTV, so I wonder if these were a factor. Maybe it just got mixed up with the specs for coax I also had, which did turn up in the search.

AlbertLong_John_Sliver
    ✭✭✭
    GeekLord....Just as a matter of interest.... am pushing the full output of an 8 channel  Hybrid DVR thru Cat5e well over 100 meters. However... to be fair..... I am using two NetSys Line amps to do so... without them is becomes bad news.