Who here is using " Passthru" RJ45 connectors?

AlbertAlbert Member Posts: 97
25 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭
Folks.... (moderators) if this is in the wrong  category, pls feel free to move it, am trying to learn my way around this forum.
Ok.? . here goes. Am having to do a series of new cables to be RJ45 terminated.  Question is this. I am tempted to go for the "Passthru" connectors. But have never used them. Some folks HATE them... some folks Love 'em. If I might make an educated guess.... there must be a number of you folks out here who have done this hundreds of times. So..... Don't be shy now... pls share yr experience ..... Passthru RJ45 or just the bog standard ones???
I have done the standard ones before... but never a Passthru and Amazon is no help... People seem to be divided into 2 camps... Yes... Great... and NO, don't touch them with a barge pole which leaves this here Novice in the dark!
I am aware that unless PROPERLY done, you could run a risk with the ends touching unless they are absolutely cut Flush. Will be using CAT 6 cable with 23 AWG solid copper wires as cores./
Several years ago I tried to run Cat 6 into the standard connectors that had the "guiding" inserts. Cutting a long story short... I ran out of swear words and much of my "efforts" ended in the trash.
Suggestions/Advice most gratefully accepted by this rank novice.
Albert ( EI7II).
rooted

Best Answers

• Al_FitzAl_Fitz Member Posts: 7
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer First Comment
    Accepted Answer
    I'm using them and they have saved me so much trouble shooting. Absolutely the best new gimmick out there and its so simple they should have had them 20 years ago. I think the high dollar crimpers will come down in price after awhile but they sure are pricey right now.  I have bought three of them before I found a decent pair that didn't cut my fingers off. The cheap chinese one have no guard on the cable cutting razor and my hand went right to the blade the first time I used them. The second pair were  so flimsy that they would flex enough that the crimp was never acceptable and the cut off blade could get the job done. So I ended up with a  $40.00 pair from Menards and they work great. 

My two cents worth

Al Fitz

Albert
  • AlbertAlbert Member Posts: 97
    ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Al..... very much appreciated !!!!  I have a borrowed pair of KLEIN Tools Crimpers here... they sure look the business. I put up a photo somewhere here in the forum. They cut the wires absolutely FLUSH with the end of the connector.
    Tks again for your feedback.
    Albert
    ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    AL....here they are: Made in the Windy City (Chicago)

• tonyditonydi Member Posts: 2
    First Answer First Comment Photogenic
    Accepted Answer
    I've used the "pass through" connectors and crimper from Platinum Tools for years, made hundreds of cables and not one dud.  Yes there are purists who will pooh pooh anything but the traditional way of doing things but I wish I'd found these connectors 30 years ago.  The only downside is the obvious one, the higher cost of the pieces, but to me it's a small price to pay for the ease of use.
    AlbertAl_Fitz
    Accepted Answer

This is what I'm using and it does a good job for my use. I am retired now so I don't need a daily tool, just an occasional use tool.

Albert
    Accepted Answer

I sure didn't pay what Platinum Tools is asking, but l loyality does natter.
    Albert
    ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Al..... and all others who replied.   Thanks ever so much. Passthru connectors from now on !!!"
    Albert