I am having intermittent wifi loss of my TP link TL-WA901ND.

Marcus011265Marcus011265 Member Posts: 4
Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
I have had the above device working well for a couple of months, however as indicated above connection with other devices is now intermittent,  Is it possible that I have a faulty unit?  Many thanks in anticipation.
kltaylor

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Marcus011265, welcome to our community.

If you're experiencing more than one device on your wireless network that 'drop' at the same time, then yes your wireless router could be the culprit.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Marcus011265
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,627
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You could try a factory reset on the device and reconfigure it as a first troubleshooting step.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Marcus011265
  • Marcus011265Marcus011265 Member Posts: 4
    Hi kltaylor and Marc.  Many thanks for your very rapid help.  I have reset to factory defaults with no result.  I am finding it very stange that my Huawei router can "see" the access point, however, when I attempt to "ping" from Huawei to TP link using the fabulous Fing app I always get 100% package loss.  I am baffled as they indicate that they "see" each other.  Woof woof to Daphnee, for being a good dog. Cheers!  
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you have it set up as?  As an Access point or as a repeater?
    Marcus011265

I have tried every mode except multiple ssid. The same thing happens in each mode.....tplink ap sees and connects to Huewai modem, and modem is seeing tplink ap. A ping test from tplink ap to Huewai modem results in 100% package loss. Clear as mud? Cheers!

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we need to circle back to @kltaylor assessment of the thing being broken.  Do you have another piece of kit you can substitute in its place to see if it all goes away?  Or conversely can you lend it to a friend to see if that start to experience the same issue?  

Coincidently, I had a Linksys RE9000, a range extender, that had been intermittent for the past few weeks.  Its status light would turn red and if I left it too long connections would just fail.  A reboot brought it back but I was just a matter of time till it started all over again.  Friday I bit the bullet and bought a Velop mesh node (My router support either type) and the issues have just gone away.  As long as you did your best to troubleshoot, sometimes you gotta cry uncle and replace ...   ;)
  • NottsjulesNottsjules Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Sadly these TPLink units do fail and die. I've had many over the years. Their new up to date ones AC1750s etc...seem much better. Generally TPLink network gear is good...but their older access points not so.

• Spamoni4Spamoni4 Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    edited February 10

I was having the same issue for a bit. What I found is that Fingbox had a trusted gateway which, in reality, was a TV. I removed the trusted gateway and everything started to work again. You might have a similar issue.

BTW - I have a TP-Link mesh network using the Decos. Works very well.

Many thanks @Spamoni4, @Nottsjules, @Marc and @kltaylor for your suggestions.  Although the device is less than six months old I am beginning to wonder if I have a dud unit.  I will see what happens on a friends network with it and investigate a Linksys replacement.  Many thanks again.
  • NottsjulesNottsjules Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

The new TPLink ones are more expensive but a dream to set up and so far work well. Love the simple guest network tick box facility too...