Third section of my IP Addresses changed to 86 (like 192.168.86.30)- Help?

melbursteinmelburstein Member Posts: 15
10 Comments Photogenic
What does the 86 mean?  I think it used to be a one or zero.  Then one day it all changed and I DONT have a clue.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,126
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    What brand / model router do you have?   If anything maybe we can help you lock it down so its harder to do this in the future...
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • melbursteinmelburstein Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Accepted Answer
    I own an Arris SB65190 Modem and a Google WiFi Router (plus two Mesh WiFi Points). 
    Thank you in advance for your help.

Mel
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Can I assume your isp does NOT control your router? It’s yours in other words? I’m asking just in case this was something your internet service provider modified.

melburstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Got it. It appears to be the default google IP address range for Their routers. Follow the link below. The bottom line is that It does not look like a hack ...

rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

@melburstein , Daphnee is a cockalear, a combo King Charles Cavalier and a Cocker spaniel.... Somewhere in the forums we have a dog photo thread. Feel free to contribute. There are a few spaniels represented but no Morkies!

Answers

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 788
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the subnet, the DHCP server on your router or gateway provides this information and it should not change by itself.

✭✭✭✭✭✭

First thing I would do is change you routers admin password. As @rooted said, these things don’t change on their own. Use something complex and hard to guess.

10 Comments Photogenic
    Thank you for your knowledgeable answer. Unfortunately, I don't have enough networking experience to fully understand.  I do agree that the IP Addresses changed as a result of something I did.   But what could I have done?
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I own an Arris SB6190 Modem and a Google WiFi Router (plus 2 mish WiFi points).
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Okay.  So I guess I saw all of the IP Address change to 19.168.86.xx when I changed from a Netgear Ruter to the Google Mesh Router.  Thank you so much for solving the mystery.  I assume I should just leave it alone now that I know the change was legit.  Right?.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct...  though if you have not already, make sure you have changed the routers password from its default to something a bit harder to guess.  A little proactive security couldn’t hurt...
    10 Comments Photogenic
    What breed is Daphnee?  We have a Morkie.