How can I see what websites are visited from each device on my router?

Jayxrated
Jayxrated Member Posts: 1
edited January 16, 2020 in Devices & Security #1
I need to know how to view what devices go on whuch devicez

Answers

• StevetheITguy
    StevetheITguy Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment

The higher end routers may have the ability to export via syslog. Otherwise I'd setup a DNS service (I use OpenDNS) where you can review all requests and traffic.

• TheMilk_Man
    TheMilk_Man Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

If you’re talking about getting the actual name to the websites, ie www.google.com, the long answer is no..and the short answer is no too. Routers will store the sites IP address in the sys log(source and destination ip), depending on how much space is allotted for said log will dictate how far your search will go back. You can also check the Routing table, but if you’re using a basic home router it won’t have anything but your routers address and a general 0.0.0.0

exosecNoob
  • Ciaran
    Ciaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Is anybody aware of any devices that can perhaps  assist with this? @rooted @Marc @kltaylor
    @Pixelpopper

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭

If you are in a domestic situation you may be able to check the browser history (Internet explorer, safari etc.) on each device with the consent of the user.

in a commercial situation the business will have rights to examine browsing history as well although there are more effective logging methods in this case.

OKC
  • rooted
    rooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 889
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Router Limits can provide this functionality but you have to buy a device and pay $9.99/month:

I tested it on the Luxul router I recently purchased and it works well.

[Deleted User]Ciaran
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Jayxrated, the best approach to this scenario is going to rely completely on your level of technical knowledge and how in-depth you are willing to go with this.

The option to implement and use a DNS like OpenDNS (I use PI-Hole) will provide to you a deep level of what's connecting and where they are requesting data from.  In a lot of situations, those websites will be represented by their public IP address, which you can discover who they are easy enough through your browser.

If you have technical know-how, instead of paying a monthly subscription for a service to do this for you, purchasing a Raspberry Pi or make use of an old machine with Ubuntu as its OS, adding it to your network, installing PI-Hole, and then re-directing your DNS in the router to the IP address (static) of that machine.

"There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    CiaranGwen10
  • Ciaran
    Ciaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks for the feedback folks, much appreciated. @Jayxrated if you find any of these answers useful please mark the most relevant as 'yes'. Thanks again
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• exosec
    exosec Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment

A free account with www.opendns.com will get you a dashboard gui showing amoung many other things a list of all domains visited and blocked at the DNS level. You can't go wrong. Good luck

[Deleted User]kltaylorOKCShae
  • Iam1ne
    Iam1ne Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Firewalla will tell you site/domain and doesn’t involve monthly subscription fees. Recommendation is to get Firewalla Blue since it can do packet inspection at 500+ MB’s.

[Deleted User]kltaylorOKC
  • Jay
    Jay UKMember, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic
    You might also like to take a look at the community version of ntopng: https://www.ntop.org/products/traffic-analysis/ntop/
    [Deleted User]Ciaran
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Jay said:
    You might also like to take a look at the community version of ntopng: https://www.ntop.org/products/traffic-analysis/ntop/
    Awww... new toys! =)  Going to check that out right now.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • MichaelRowe
    MichaelRowe Member Posts: 6
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    If you want that level of insights, look at something like Wireshark.  It's a bit complex, but can capture and track tons of info on your network.
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭
    .........Wireshark.  It's a bit complex, but can capture and track tons of info on your network.........
    Wireshark is a remarkably good, and free, network monitoring, assessment & analysis tool (which I use from time to time). It can also produce user customisable reports but it can take an age to learn to use it effectively. To satisfy the requirement of the topic title, one of the other (Free) options would be easier to configure & use.
    Ciaran