Finding no open port on smart switch?

rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 803
500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
✭✭✭✭✭

When I do a port scan on my smart switch Fing finds no open ports, but of course port 80 is open. I perform a scan with nmap and it finds the open port.

My switch is a Comtrend 7408.

Any ideas why Fing fails to find port 80 as open?

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,745
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin

Thanks for the question @rooted

Can you check under Fing app settings if port 80 is present under the TCP services list or not? Fing remote port scan performs a check on all available 65k ports. Even though it lasts approx. 2 minutes in order to avoid heavy traffic towards your public IP, some routers and firewalls might detect it as a burst attack. Common anti-burst detection can temporarily ban the Fing server performing the scan. As a result, you are going to see fewer ports on the list.

If you are an advanced user and want to compare a Fingbox report with your manual port scans, please note that as you are running a manual scan from within your network you most probably will see more open ports on your public IP. This is because the router understands you are actually on the network and so does not filter you with the firewall.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 803
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Port 80 is enabled in the Fing application, I'm scanning from the local network. I don't have a Fingbox.
    admin
    rooted said:
    Port 80 is enabled in the Fing application, I'm scanning from the local network. I don't have a Fingbox.
    Can you make sure port 80 was open at that time? Also, please check this article : https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/network-vulnerability-test/
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have have Fingbox ;)

The port is always open, I'm on my home network, other scanners show the port as open, only Fing doesn't.

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Port 80 is a common port, of which if it wasn't open you would not have had the opportunity to come to the forums and tell us about it.  Typical ports like that may in some cases, not be reported as it's common for it to be that way.
    You're safe ... carry on! =)
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you @kltaylor I really appreciate the input, but I'm not reporting it as a question. I'm fully aware of web services and run quite a few on my network, what I'm reporting is a strange anomoly with Fing.

Why do you think typical ports may not be reported? That would be terribly insecure of the Fing application if that is the case.

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It's certainly something to think about, not just an easy, off-the-cuff answer.  If you issue an open port scan of your network, you should see as a result which systems have which ports open.  As an example, the system in my network that is designated as the main server shows several ports open to the web to facilitate the services that I provide to my home.

A port scan should be device dependant and not just a general list of ports that are open.

Can you show us some screenshots so that we can have a better understanding of what you're experiencing?
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A screenshot would just show a Fing scan with no open ports for the host. It's very strange, the switch is completely hiding from scans today as it doesn't even show up in the list of hosts. But of course I can still login to it.

I'm not worried about it, I think it has something to do with the fact the switch doesn't respond to pings.

admin
    Hi @rooted
    Can you check on the Fing application settings if port 80 is present in the TCP services list or not?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now I have Fingbox it detects port 80 as open on my switch @Robin so I guess the issue is resolved, although it doesn't explain why Fing couldn't detect it.

admin
    rooted said:

Now I have Fingbox it detects port 80 as open on my switch @Robin so I guess the issue is resolved, although it doesn't explain why Fing couldn't detect it.

I am investigating this and I will take this to our developers as well. Thanks for reporting.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    rooted