Is the Fing speed test broken today? Ookla seems ok.

Joe
Joe Member, Beta Tester Posts: 54
25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary First Answer
✭✭✭
The fing speed test from mlabs has been slow since yesterday. When the test is run, the lights on my fingbox don’t change like they should.

Best Answers

• Joe
    ✭✭✭
    #2 Answer ✓
    To answer my own question, mlabs looks to be broken.
  • Davey
    Davey Member Posts: 33
    10 Comments First Answer Photogenic 5 Likes
    #3 Answer ✓
    Same here. Down to 55 and 30 from 380 and 40. 
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #4 Answer ✓

We have been in contact with our Speedtest partners, M-Labs. They confirmed that they have recently rolled out an upgraded of their infrastructure & migration of machines to a new platform. This is being done to improve the overall Speedtest performance going forward. By doing this, initially they have cut of the multi-stream download Speedtest that we rely on for our Speedtests. However, they have greatly improved the single stream download Speedtest (previously the single stream download could measure up to 250 Mbps, where now it can measure up to 500+ Mbps). With speeds above this, the measured speed reported will be lower than before, due to the single stream limits.

To note for Fingbox users: this will also affect Fingbox Speedtests. We have released a new firmware version for the Fingbox which will allow single stream download to work again, firmware version 1.14.13. If you have not yet received the new release, please power-cycle the Fingbox, this will automatically update the firmware on the Fingbox.

M-Labs are working on re-introducing the mutli speed download speedtest, to include it again in the future. Currently, we have no time-frame on when this will be re-introduced. Unfortunately at this stage, there is no further steps we can take to expedite this process.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    sparky2324
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #5 Answer ✓
    Joe said:
    Hi @Robin, I’m on firmware v1.14.15 but it’s still really slow. Ookla’s single thread test is still far faster.
    thanks for confirming. In this case, we can wait till M-lab release their multi-stream.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #6 Answer ✓
    Joe said:
    Happy new year all! @Robin, it all seems to have corrected itself this afternoon. Any idea what happened?
    Happy New Year Everyone. @Joe Nothing has been changed on our end. If it is working maybe M-labs have chnaged or upgraded at their end.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • rooted
    rooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 893
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #7 Answer ✓

It's working for me, still slow as always but working.

Answers

• mashevloff
    mashevloff Member, Beta Tester Posts: 15
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments Photogenic
    For some time my download speed on Fingbox test is showing that download is 1/2 speed of upload. However when I run the test from my PC on Ookla it shows equal speeds - which is in fact as advertised by my provider. Bug?
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps there is an issue with the CAT5e/6 cable you have connected to the Fingbox.

What is your connection speed?

• mashevloff
    Fing shows 52.6Mbps down and 94.2 Mbps up, while Ookla shows 94.66 down and 94.79 up.
  • mashevloff
    Just to add before November 4th it was consistent up=down on Fing
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It could just be a temporary server issue, other than that or the cable I can't think of anything.

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Everyone

Can you please check if M-Lab speed test is the same from link below?
    https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/

That is the partner we use for speed measurement, so if Fing results are not in line with the ones reported by M-Lab, we definitely have to fix something.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Joe
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are ok. Mlabs seem to have the problem. It’s just as slow from the web page. This seemed to kick in on 26 December lunch time when my average speed went from 37 down, 9.2 up to 1 down and 0.5 up (according to Mlabs)
    As I say, all is fine on Ookla. @Robin, maybe you can find out if they have any known issues?
  • Joe
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @Robin, I’m on firmware v1.14.15 but it’s still really slow. Ookla’s single thread test is still far faster.
  • Joe
    ✭✭✭
    The Google Speed Test uses M-Labs. That’s screwed too.
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like using OOKLA would be a good workaround.

[Deleted User]
  • Pax0707
    Pax0707 Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    They had one job.
    ;- ) =
  • Joe
    ✭✭✭
    Happy new year all! @Robin, it all seems to have corrected itself this afternoon. Any idea what happened?
  • marco_from_fing
    marco_from_fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 61
    Third Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Moved to Fingbox channel
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2020 #21

@marco_from_fing Has there been any word on this, I've emailed M-Labs but I never got a response?

It's way too slow lately to be of any good use, I've tested their site and through Fingbox and the best I can get is about 330-350 Mbps from a gigabit connection.

[Deleted User]
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2020 #22

Working for me, but slow as usual. The server you connect to must be down, my tests go through Atlanta even though I'm in Florida.

• Joe
    ✭✭✭
    M-Labs is down again both from the fingbox app and https://speed.measurementlab.net/
  • Joe
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @rooted, a router reset did the trick
    rooted
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No problem, are the speeds from the test you take adequate for your connection speed?

• Joe
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, not far off. I think I have a broadband issue though but I’m not entirely sure how to prove it. And even if I do, I have to explain it to Vodafone first line support! Lots of dropped packets to my isp default gateway.
  • Stocken
    Stocken Member Posts: 2
    Second Anniversary Photogenic First Comment

Ookla  and Fing/Mlab speed test is different from the same computer in my network, 115 vs 0.19, why!

[Deleted User]
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Stocken said:

Ookla  and Fing/Mlab speed test is different from the same computer in my network, 115 vs 0.19, why!

Thanks for your query. Among the Accepted Answers you will be able to find the answer for your query. For you, I will repost the answer again. 
    Repost: We have been in contact with our Speedtest partners, M-Labs. They confirmed that they have recently rolled out an upgraded of their infrastructure & migration of machines to a new platform. This is being done to improve the overall Speedtest performance going forward. By doing this, initially they have cut of the multi-stream download Speedtest that we rely on for our Speedtests. However, they have greatly improved the single stream download Speedtest (previously the single stream download could measure up to 250 Mbps, where now it can measure up to 500+ Mbps). With speeds above this, the measured speed reported will be lower than before, due to the single stream limits.

To note for Fingbox users: this will also affect Fingbox Speedtests. We have released a new firmware version for the Fingbox which will allow single stream download to work again, firmware version 1.14.13 and onwards. If you have not yet received the new release, please power-cycle the Fingbox, this will automatically update the firmware on the Fingbox.

M-Labs are working on re-introducing the mutli speed download speedtest, to include it again in the future. Currently, we have no time-frame on when this will be re-introduced. Unfortunately at this stage, there is no further steps we can take to expedite this process.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Stocken
    Stocken Member Posts: 2
    Second Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    edited March 27, 2020 #29
    Did anyone from Fing informed the Fingbox owners when you received the confirmation of this problem?
    I noticed this "answer" but it was from 2019 so I ignored it.
    [Deleted User]