Improved Device Recognition for Fingbox users – Testers Needed!

13»

Comments

• andreacorsiandreacorsi Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment

Same here. @VioletChepil

I’m still getting “Permission problem” error. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @andreacorsi I see you are enabled for the Fing Desktop Beta. Are you able to access it? I see your status as beta tester and you should be able to access from here: https://community.fing.com/categories/beta-testing

Community Manager at Fing

andreacorsi
  • ctspeckctspeck Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment

I’d love to be a beta tester, I have tested quite a lot of different software products as well as hardware products for numerous companies. I am currently working on 7 beta programs 😊

VioletChepil
  • andreacorsiandreacorsi Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    @andreacorsi I see you are enabled for the Fing Desktop Beta. Are you able to access it? I see your status as beta tester and you should be able to access from here: https://community.fing.com/categories/beta-testing
    It's ok now. Thanks!  B)
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @andreacorsi @ctspeck you are all signed up for beta testing! Check our your new status by your profile and this give you access. 

Community Manager at Fing

• JKLines70JKLines70 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment
    Overall, the detection and identification of devices worked very well. I only had three devices not recognized, but as soon as I selected an icon for them they moved out of the unrecognized category. One was my Kevo door locks which are pretty popular, a Netgear mesh network satellite. I was really surprised by a couple that were recognized like my sleep number bed. It also surprised me that it showed the model number for my Samsung smart TV. The Apple TV identified as just that and didn't show up as the 4K unit like the Roku did.
    I have one device I don't recognize that is saying Ring Doorbell, but I don't have one of those yet so unless a neighbor's ring is somehow connecting to my WiFi ... but I don't believe that is possible since they would have had to select the SSID and enter the correct password to attach it so I'm thinking it is probably a mis-identified device. It might take me some time to locate it considering the number of items on my network.
    Another device that did not identify properly was my Russound MBX-Pre which initially identified as a smart speaker, but as soon as I updated the name to Russound MBX-Pre it updated the icon to Streaming Dongle which is more appropriate.
    Another that there may simply not be a good category for is the HDHomeRun. It identified as a Media Player, but really I would not classify it as that. Those tuner/dvr boxes might need it's own category or it could possibly be classified an AV Receiver.
    Overall though ... really great.
  • joltdudejoltdude Member, Beta Tester Posts: 30
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer
    ✭✭
    even after using the enhanced identification (by opening a firefox browser and pointing it to the fingbox) my pinebook pro keeps appearing as an August / Doorbell  Cam even though the icon has changed to a laptop.... Is there any way for me to manually change the brand/model?
    Though the rest of the profile says its a Debian based Desktop ... close enough.. =)

• dynvordynvor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Is the (Improved Device Recognition for Fingbox) still working for everyone? because it was working for me but now when i point a browser at my fingbox on ip 192.168.1.x the tab in the browser just has a spinning circle like its trying to connect but no page loads?
  • JKLines70JKLines70 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment
    As an update on the Russound MBX-Pre, when I go to the iPhone Fing App it shows some interesting detail. The MAC Vendor and UPnP Manufacturer show up as Russound. The the differences: the Brand ad Model shows up incorrectly as Netgear / GS748TP whereas the UPnP  Model shows up correctly as MBX-PRE. It is interesting that the Netgear / GS748TP is the switch that the MBX-PRE is plugged into. The UPnP Name is Home Speakers. I guess I need to do some study into where this information comes from. I would think the UPnP info would come from the device itself so that would suggest I need to contact Russound to try to get them to update the name from Home Speakers to something like Russound Streamer or Music Streamer.