"Device in Range"

AustinJerry
AustinJerry Member Posts: 101
25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
✭✭✭
edited August 9, 2019 in Fingbox #1
I occasionally get an alert that says "<Device Name> in <Network Name> is in range".  What does "in range" mean?
Fingbox owner from the beginning
Tagged:
VioletChepil

Comments

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    In range means that it's not yet connected to the network, but calling out look for networks in range of connection. All devices with WiFi enabled are looking for networks, and as soon as Fingbox picks that up it becomes in range. 

Community Manager at Fing

Lee_BoXenophodAllThingsdUK
  • AustinJerry
    AustinJerry Member Posts: 101
    25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    The device that reports it is “in range” is a device that is typically supposed to be connected.  The fact that it is in range means that it has dropped from the network and is trying to re-join.  I’ll configure the device to issue an alert for when it drops off of the network to see if I can figure out what is going on.  I really like the visibility Fing gives me into the reliability of my connected devices.
    Fingbox owner from the beginning
    VioletChepilGidsteridea2go
  • mozarella
    mozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 128
    100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Likes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    I also got messages "in range" and "online" sometimes. Wondering, devices are connected over LAN and has fixed IP.  More wondering about the state moving between "in range" and "online", but not mentioned "offline". Usually "in range" should be anounced when a wifi-device is in range (possible to connect to wifi or through digital fence) and the next state will be "online". But this means that "offline" was before.
  • AllThingsdUK
    AllThingsdUK Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments Founder 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    The way I understand it is that if a device has  been connected by either cable or wifi to the fingbox network,  it can be in range of the network but not actually connected, which results in an in range status,  because fingbox is still picking up the device's attempts/search for a network to join. 
    I get this a lot with my ip cameras when they lose connection but are still switched on & searching for the network hence the switch between online and in range without being offline. 
    When the device is either switched off or has moved beyond the fingbox geofence it will show offline. 
    Also a device showing in range of the network doesn't have to have been connected to the network. 
    Take my postman for instance he's not been connected to my network but I get in range alerts because I selected his device from my digital fence & by watching it the device then shows in my devices list as 'monitored as part of my network' .
    If you can locate the device in your digital fence you'll be able to see what network if any it was connected to at the time of discovery. 
    I hope this is an accurate description,  it works for me anyway lol.
    Pooh
  • SX86
    SX86 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment

I'm getting that on a device that has a static IP and connected using ethernet. This is getting annoying because it fills up my logs with online/in range/online/in range all day.

This device is configured for bonding, it uses 2 Ethernet cables to provide more speed and load balancing...could that be why?

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok @SX86 I'm checking if @Robin can help any further on this. He'll be online again tomorrow AM. 

Community Manager at Fing

SX86
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,869
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @AllThingsdUK

The wifi strength showing on the Fing App as 'In range'  is related to Digital Fence feature for the devices which has wifi capabilities. It is not the wifi strength for the device but the signal strength for the device with Fingbox. For more information on Digital Fence, please refer: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/digitalfence-feature/ 

The digital fence shows not only roaming Wi-Fi devices but also neighbors wired devices that are transmitting to Wi-Fi devices. 

In other words: if your wired device (A) needs to talk to a wireless device (C) through wireless device (B), the Fingbox passive monitoring can see that interaction taking place as (A)->(C) in the wireless packet headers and enlist (A) as seen a device of the Digital Fence.  

Fingbox monitors all channels, and if some special wireless activity (A)->(C) is observed, it can also know for sure that (A) is wireless. Until those special activities are observed, though, Fingbox cannot tell for sure whether (A) it’s wireless or not, and in order to provide a comprehensive list in the Digital Fence, it must show (A) in the list. 

This is why, on some network setups, a wired device appears in the list among wireless ones. 

If it is a different message, then a screenshot might help to guide you. Thanks

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    AustinJerry