DEVICES scan incorrectly reports OFFLINE, 5 out of 100+ devices when I know they exist and ONLINE -

little_ol_me
little_ol_me Member, Beta Tester Posts: 16
10 Comments Photogenic
edited October 10, 2019 in Fing App #1
DEVICES report incorrectly as OFFLINE, 5 out of 100+ devices when I know they exist and ONLINE via its PING.  (((app only - no Fingbox)))
Can I set the wait time longer?  At this point, I can't reliably count on the app
(for example) PING'ing them thru the same app, immediately after :
0% packet loss
ave ping <20ms
min ping 7ms
max ping 60ms
standdard dev  1ms
Thanks,
Joe
Sorry for over posting.  I accidentally responded to my own post, thereby marking it as 'responded'.  I fear I wont get response if its marked as 'responded' already.  ....so re posting....again...

Best Answer

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,882
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    #2 Accepted Answer
    HI @little_ol_me
    Thanks for the information. As you mentioned you do no hold Fingbox I would like to tell you that Ping service works on a best effort basis. Packet loss is when packets traveling through a network medium get “knocked off” before getting to their destination. There are a couple of reasons why packet loss happens. For detail information, please visit this external link: https://www.pcwdld.com/packet-loss 
    Also, before using a ping command, you need to run a device scan every time to correctly check the status of devices and if your mobile device on which Fing is installed is connected to (A) access point and devices which you are trying to ping is connected to (B) access point with different SSID names then Fing app might show that device as Offline but in many cases, Ping will still work as it is the same network.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!

Answers

• little_ol_me
    10 Comments Photogenic
    edited October 4, 2019 #3
    DEVICES scan incorrectly reports OFFLINE, 5 out of 100+ devices when I know they exist and ONLINE. 
    Can I set the wait time longer?  At this point, I can't reliably count on the app :(
    (for example) PING'ing them thru the same app, immediately after :
    0% packet loss
    ave ping <20ms
    min ping 7ms
    max ping 60ms
    standdard dev  1ms
    Thanks,
    Joe
  • little_ol_me
    10 Comments Photogenic
    edited October 4, 2019 #4

• little_ol_me
    10 Comments Photogenic
    edited October 4, 2019 #5

• little_ol_me
    10 Comments Photogenic

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,709
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @little_ol_me, have a look at this thread from the site, maybe it applies or can help with what your finding?  
    Here is a quote from @Robin ...
    "The reason you may be experiencing this issue in relation to alerts for a specific device, is that you might have changed the state change alert from default value to a different value. The usual default value is 20 minutes. Sometimes, when the device is not in use, it may go to sleep mode and then if the state change is set to the lowest value of 1 or 2 minutes, it can be recorded as offline or out of range. So, when it returns back from the sleep mode, it will be marked as Online and thus providing you with an alert. If the state change alert value is set to more than 20 minutes, then until that time period is finished, that device will still be marked Online and only after that time period it will be recorded as Offline, thus providing you with an alert.  

In order to change the alert settings, please click on the device from the device list and then scroll down to 'State Change Timeout(auto)' . You can then set the value to at least 20 minutes. This will resolve your issue."
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi there @Joe
    Are you by chance using a mesh network? Do you have more than 1 access point?
    Curios to get more troubleshooting details about your network set-up so I can help you further on this.

Community Manager at Fing

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Marc SUPER HELPFUL! Let us know if that could be the cause @little_ol_me

• little_ol_me
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Not on a mesh network. 
    However we are using a range extender for half of our network devices. To restate the sequence of events, if I do a scan using the app, I click on the 'Events' icon.  In there, it has a list of devices that are ON or OFF.  I will see devices that are grayed out(meaning OFF or not reporting).  I immediately open that device , using the app, click the '>' arrow button at top, then click "PING".  Now its showing as ON or RESPONDING. I can only assume the ping time to detect that MAC is too fast.   Happens daily.  What else do you think it could be?
  • little_ol_me
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Your answer does not answer my problem.  In no way am I using the alerts. I never stated using alerts. I'm not waiting for emails to alert me.  I am doing a ping within 5 seconds of doing a 'devices' scan. 
    I'll restate the sequence of events:
    Not on a mesh network. 
    However we are using a range extender for half of our network devices. To restate the sequence of events, if I do a scan using the app, I click on the 'Events' icon.  In there, it has a list of devices that are ON or OFF.  I will see devices that are grayed out(meaning OFF or not reporting).  I immediately open that device , using the app, click the '>' arrow button at top, then click "PING".  Now its showing as ON or RESPONDING. I can only assume the ping time to detect that MAC is too fast.   Happens daily.  What else do you think it could be?

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @little_ol_me just merging this thread with the other so there is one for us to use. 

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok @little_ol_me I'm checking further details on this - could be down to the extenders but I need to check. I'll be back soon with more help. 

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin

Hi @[email protected]_ol_me
    I believe you are understanding the 'Events' Feature wrong. Events feature will show the list of all activities happened on your network. It does not display the current status of the device. If you need to check if the current device is Offline or Online, then you need to go to the Device tab instead of the Events tab. After you click on the Device tab, from the top right corner icon, run a scan and it will refresh all devices connected to your network and you will be able to see which device is currently Online or Offline.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • little_ol_me
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I left off the very very first step , because I assumed it to be obvious.  Yes, I know to (first) scan the network by first clicking on the 'Devices' icon, THEN must click the semi-circle with arrow (re-scan) all devices. 
  • little_ol_me
    10 Comments Photogenic
    1st click 'Device' , then re-scan icon.
    2. Ok, it shows this device is OFFLINE. 
    Now what if I ping it using its Ping button ?? ;)
    3. The PING results :
    4. Nothing unusual with ping.  0% packet loss. Low ping time....
    Lets see if its a weird device by checking open ports...

5. Not a weird device - it even has a webserver on it.
    Lets TRACEROUTE IT to see if its on the same network.
    6. Again, low ping time.  And on same network.
    This all happens within a minute of looking at the device.
    ...So why is it showing OFFLINE it its really ONLINE ?? Many devices report falsely .  IS it the amount of time ping waits ???
    Joe
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hey @little_ol_me
    Can you tell if the issue is happening with all devices or with a particular device? Also, when the device is showing offline under events, is it connected to same access point on which Fingbox is activated or a different access point?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • little_ol_me
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I don't have a Fingbox.   There are two access points; One of the two routers is at the other end of a range extender.  However Fing reports many other devices correctly, wether thru router, or thru range extender.   It happens to ~1% of devices.  I dont recognize a pattern with any particular device - seems random.
  • little_ol_me
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Is there another diagnostic tool I can use immediately after I recognize the Fing app reports an ONLINE device as OFFLINE ?  Even after it reports a device as OFFLINE,  I can do a re-scan of devices, yet it continues to report it (grayed out) and as "offline".
  • little_ol_me
    10 Comments Photogenic
    perhaps it its marked as "offline", there could be text as to the reason its being listed as "offline".  e.g. "unable to find mac", or "packet return is 0 or 50% "?
  • Dilligaf
    Dilligaf Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited April 27, 2021 #21

**Please disregard. Issue resolved. Sorry for the wasted bandwidth.**

I have this issue also. Many (most) of the online devices on my network are reported as offline, even though the Fing app is able to ping them with no loss at all. Some (such as two iPads) aren't seen at all. Please advise. Thanks!

I have used the free mobile app for quite a while, just noticed this recently (though admittedly the last time I used it before today was a couple of months ago). Upgraded to premium today, no difference.

A couple of these devices are on my internal VPN. One shows up as online in the scan and one doesn't show up at all.