Thoughts on a Fing Discord server

kltaylorkltaylor Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭
As a gamer, and like many gamers as well, we're very familiar with the Discord voice and text service.  Recently a lot of game developers are owning their own server where players can join in and be part of the community.  The main aspect that I enjoy is the idea that I have a direct link to the developers through Direct Messaging, have access to the discussions regarding approaching upgrades, things like that.
What do you think of having an official Fing Discord server that would serve the purpose of a similar approach for Fingbox, Fing app, beta testing upcoming revisions, etc.?  Post your thoughts and let's discuss if it's relevant and how impactful (or not) it could have with the company.
"There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
-Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
VioletChepilkeithatpda

Comments

• PoohPooh Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I'm not in favor of it (being brutally honest) - for starters I fear it'll dilute the Community and also that there's a bit of a difference between a game and a security device. I'd much rather (again, being honest) have the folks in Fingland not be bothered by everyone and have a more measured approach at fixing issues.

My 2 pence worth is all...
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepilYeskltaylorHronosMarc
  • YesYes Member Posts: 14 ✭✭✭

I have to agree with @pooh.

But to be honest, I have never been a gamer and also not really familiar with Discord. My doubts are (though I maybe wrong), that in particular, the spoken information will not easily be searchable or even available afterwards. This means that valuable information and knowledge that has previously been shared would get lost.

For game playing at the other hand, I do understand the value of such kind of direct communication.

The answer is Yes! The question is the question?

kltaylorVioletChepil
  • kltaylorkltaylor Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭
    Pooh said:
    Personally I'm not in favor of it (being brutally honest) - for starters I fear it'll dilute the Community and also that there's a bit of a difference between a game and a security device. I'd much rather (again, being honest) have the folks in Fingland not be bothered by everyone and have a more measured approach at fixing issues.

My 2 pence worth is all...
    That's great input, thank @Pooh
    VioletChepil
  • HronosHronos Member Posts: 163 ✭✭✭
    I'm with @Pooh on this one, and share the same concern about the availability of the information as @Yes.  Even when this community was in Facebook only, I wasn't able to follow the flow of information as now.
    Discord could have a place within the Fing Universe but don't see it clear just now.
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepilkltaylor
  • MarcMarc Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭
    Not to beat this to death but like @Pooh , yea, not too big fan of that approach.  I do like your passion and desire for connections within the community though @kltaylor ... 
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepilkltaylor
  • keithatpdakeithatpda Member Posts: 46 ✭✭✭

Not a gamer, but interested in how communities work, or not.

Fingcom is working nicely.

Interesting comment here?

https://medium.com/@iaace.jcusa1/your-4th-discord-server-is-dead-92a214fff3d2

VioletChepilkltaylor
    Marc said:
    Not to beat this to death but like @Pooh , yea, not too big fan of that approach.  I do like your passion and desire for connections within the community though @kltaylor ... 
    I've always said that any good relationship starts with open communication! =)
    MarcHronosYes
    Today, I am kind of changing my opinion (not completely but...)
    In the weekend, I was unable to login in the community, Not really sure why, but I also was unable to contact any buddy from here to report.
    Today, I was going to try to contact someone of support, but entering to the community site, I was able to log again... (Pretty weird).
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepilkltaylor
  • pwmeekpwmeek Member Posts: 65 ✭✭✭
    For some odd reason, I have had three references to Discord (including this one) in the past few days. So, I created an account and joined the channels mentioned in the other two. I have to say that Discord is a very "noisy" (information-wise) way to communicate.

As a communication channel, I don't see how it would improve on a simple moderated topic on this forum. The main difference is that a person logged in wouldn't see new posts in real-time. I don't see the utility in a reporting forum for real-time responses. In all cases (that I can think of) the proper response to a new post in a beta-reporting forum is to do some research, think about the issue, and post a carefully written response. No call for real-time there.
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    HronosVioletChepilkltaylor
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 1,616 admin
    @Hronos I'm very sorry about this - we had a bug. It's fixed now. I'm about to send a comms on it shortly.
    Just so people are aware of what happened and that it is resolved now.

Community Manager at Fing

kltaylor

@VioletChepil no problem, but It could be helpful to know what to do or how to communicate with the team if something like that happen again.

Keep looking up!
    kltaylor
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 1,616 admin
    Ok @Hronos I will DM you and the super users and let you know what to do. I hope it should not happen again. But if it does, we'll have a plan. 

Community Manager at Fing

Hronoskltaylor

Nice, always is better to have a plan xD

Keep looking up!
    kltaylor
    pwmeek said:
    For some odd reason, I have had three references to Discord (including this one) in the past few days. So, I created an account and joined the channels mentioned in the other two. I have to say that Discord is a very "noisy" (information-wise) way to communicate.

As a communication channel, I don't see how it would improve on a simple moderated topic on this forum. The main difference is that a person logged in wouldn't see new posts in real-time. I don't see the utility in a reporting forum for real-time responses. In all cases (that I can think of) the proper response to a new post in a beta-reporting forum is to do some research, think about the issue, and post a carefully written response. No call for real-time there.
    A few key features that I like about being part of Discord that game developers host, is the ability to see who is online in any capacity of the community.  I realize that the forums have the same thing, the big difference I suppose would be voice communications, and the ability to ping everyone that is part of a channel. 
    In my server I have a game news section where I prefix the message with '@here' so that I can ping everyone that subscribes to that particular channel, and not '@all' which would ping everyone regardless.
    I appreciate your input though, thanks a bunch!