Android 10 and Mac Address issue. Testers wanted

Systops5
Systops5 Member Posts: 33
Second Anniversary 10 Comments First Answer 5 Agrees
✭✭

Ok, so this on going issue with Android 10 not able to read the MAC Addresses. I tested this myself after having read some interesting articles on Android 10 and the randomizing of Mac Addresses. So I wanted to try turning off the randomization of the MAC Address on my Android 10 (which the feature is supposed to simply randomize the 👀😀MAC Address of my device only, however after confirming that after a rescan of my network many of my devices lost their identity and IP addresses were showing without matching to its MAC Address and the device identification lost, I turned off this feature on my Android 10 then rescanned my network and all the devices were able to show the proper MAC Address and the device identity..

If anyone else has an Android 10 and could test this to see if this works for them and possibly prove or disprove my findings it would be an important understanding of the issue and potential resolution.

To turn off Random MAC Address tap Network & Internet, tap the Wireless Network your connected to, Tap Advanced then Privacy and change Use Random Mac Address to Use Devices Mac Address. Disconnect and reconnect to that network and rescan your network.

If your devices are now identified properly then this is the issue, if not, then I have no explanation how it worked for me lol.

Cheers

VioletChepilkltaylorHronos

Answers

• kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I wish I had an Android with version 10 of the OS.  This sounds interesting on a security level for sure.  I'm going to keep watching this thread as we move forward.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepil
  • Hronos
    Hronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have an Android 10 device at hand for now, and as @kltaylor wish to have one!! xD
    But, What my gut say of your findings so far is (I could be wrong of course):
    1. Android 10 has the ability to "toggle" the randomization feature.
    2. Android 10 use this toggle to allow (or not) access to the ARP table.
    It sound fare than "if you want to know the identities of the devices in a network" you are "obligated" to identify truly yourself on that network (privacy equality o:) )
    Will be following the development of this thread as well.
    Keep looking up!
    kltaylorVioletChepil
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I would also think that the random MAC address feature should be a toggle.  With a device like the Fingbox though, that could cause havok in trying to maintain a proper listed of allowable devices by MAC address.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepilHronos
  • Hronos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well yeah but, If you are "allow" in a network you should disable the randomization to that network... I am pretty sure the toggle could be Wi-Fi connection based... (like: Home: disable, Airport: enable)
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepilkltaylor
  • cometfish
    cometfish Member Posts: 3
    5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment

I have Android 10 on a Pixel 2.

I already have MAC randomisation turned off. Re-scanning just now still didn't pick up any MAC addresses.

HronosVioletChepilkltaylor
  • Karendar
    Karendar Member, Beta Tester Posts: 8
    Photogenic 5 Likes First Comment

I have Android 10 on 2 phones in my network. As soon as I can, I'll test it

VioletChepilkltaylor
  • Karendar

Just tested. Whenever randomized MAC is enabled, device is unpingable. The minute I disable it, it's pingable again and relinks with original device.

VioletChepilkltaylor
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting @Karendar and @cometfish - I guess you are both getting different results if I understand correctly?
    @Karendar with MAC randomization turned off you can still get the addresses linked to original devices and @cometfish you are not able to do so?
    Indeed this is very interesting. I guess @Systops5 is experiencing the same in that you are able to get the MAC addresses on Android 10+. I wonder if this is down to the phone being used then....

Community Manager at Fing

kltaylor
  • cometfish
    cometfish Member Posts: 3
    5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment

@VioletChepil My comment was in reference to scanning for OTHER devices using the Fing app on an Android 10 device. I no longer get MAC address values for any other device (except for the phone running the Fing app).

Reading @Karendar's comment, it seems to me that they're talking about a single device, ie. just detecting and recognising their Android 10 phone's MAC from another device running Fing...? (In which case, yes, that setting toggle would be expected to fix that issue.)

For reference, I am on a Pixel 2 phone.

VioletChepilkltaylor
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes thanks for pointing that our @cometfish
    @cometfish this is the intended behavior we were expecting on Android 10 as explained in the post here:
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/832/android-10-fing-app-will-fing-app-work-on-android-10 
    @Systops5 had some different behavior and so we were trying to get to the bottom of everything! 

kltaylor
  • Hronos
    ✭✭✭✭
    The different behavior in the tests of @cometfish and @Karendar are intriguing.
    Could you point out the scenario of your tests, like:
    Wi-Fi Network, NO Fingbox* , various devices, Android 10 running the app.
    Randomization OFF:
    - Device running the App Shows it's MAC Address?
    - The App on that same device lists the MAC Address of the other devices?
    - Any other question to add?

Randomization ON:
    - Same questions.

Hope this will give us a better vision to get some conclusions.
    * @VioletChepil does a FingApp with an account not linked to a Fingbox behave different on a network with a Fingbox?
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepil
  • Karendar

Yeah, I was mostly testing the single device, did not push tests further, as I thought this was the scenario. My bad.

I'll push testing further. As a reference, I have both a pixel 3 and pixel 2 on the network. However, Fing only runs on the 3.

VioletChepil
  • Karendar
    edited October 7, 2019 #14

Ok, so randomized my MAC and forced a rescan. All Mac addresses come up as unavailable, cannot identify the device based on MAC. The only two devices showing MAC is my Pixel 3 running the scan and my BROTHER PRINTER?! How random 🤣

When I disable randomization and rescan, everything comes back as per usual. All devices detect mac, are reachable and display all pertinent info. Even my brother printer 😝

**Edit** forgot to specify that I do have a fingbox... Have not tried with simply the app

VioletChepil
  • Karendar

I refreshed a few times in a row and even randomized, I'm eventually able to get MAC addresses to show. Don't know if it's cache data or not at this point, but it does clearly fail once in a while.

VioletChepil
  • Hronos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Karendar said:

I refreshed a few times in a row and even randomized, I'm eventually able to get MAC addresses to show. Don't know if it's cache data or not at this point, but it does clearly fail once in a while.

I think that behavior is because the Fingbox, but it shouldn't affect that way, right @VioletChepil?
    Keep looking up!
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Karendar yes this is the expected behavior because Fingbox is getting MAC addresses off the router connection rather than the WiFi! 

Karendar
  • Systops5
    Systops5 Member Posts: 33
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments First Answer 5 Agrees
    ✭✭
    Seems like testing is very inconclusive as the results are hit or miss. This will definitely need more testing to be done. I will try to tet with a clean install of the FingApp and see if I get any different results.
    HronosVioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all and @Systops5 - we've got a new beta test here for Android 10. Please join us if you can: https://community.fing.com/discussion/1636/beta-test-fing-app-for-android-10-with-mac-addresses