Is there a way in which, in the event of a device crash, it reboots itself without my intervention?

System
System Administrator Posts: 85
10 Comments Photogenic
admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Anyone else find the feature of outages relavant?.

Comments

• Antonio_Buttinelli
    Antonio_Buttinelli Member, Beta Tester Posts: 12
    Second Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    edited October 2, 2019 #2

To me in a couple of occasions I found the fingbox with the red light on and out of use so I had to remove the power supply to make it restart. Is there a way in which, in the event of a device crash, it reboots itself without my intervention?
    VioletChepil
  • Carlo_from_Fing
    Carlo_from_Fing Rome, ItalyAdministrator, Fing Team Posts: 247
    100 Likes 100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Hey @Antonio_Buttinelli, if it's crashed, it cannot reboot... because it's malfunctioning already.
    We have means of automatic reboot when the fingbox has lost connection for longer than some time, exactly like you suggested.
    But if the agent is completely crashed, that code will not run.

We will check your case. Can you tell me when it happened last time, so we can check your logs?
    What router do you have?

Carlo from Fing

VioletChepil
  • Carlo_from_Fing
    Carlo_from_Fing Rome, ItalyAdministrator, Fing Team Posts: 247
    100 Likes 100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    @Antonio_Buttinelli by the way, seems like you are a former colleague of @Simone from our Fing crew!!! Is it so?

Carlo from Fing

VioletChepil
  • Antonio_Buttinelli
    Antonio_Buttinelli Member, Beta Tester Posts: 12
    Second Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    esatto si. conosco Simone ma non lavora più in Marini Impianti. Quando si ripresenterà l'anomalia lo segnalerò di nuovo e cmq non è il router poichè quello funziona e funzionava in quanto navigavo in internet ma dall'applicazione sul cellulare non raggiungevo fing perchè era bloccato con la luce rossa
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @Antonio_Buttinelli keep us posted if the issue happens again we'll be happy to help you! 

Community Manager at Fing

• atomicboy
    atomicboy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 67
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer
    ✭✭✭

I use an IP Smart Switch that controls the power to one of my Router/Modems and the power to the associated Outdoor Wireless Unit. I can do a manual power cycle of either or both power outlets by hitting “reset all” and the unit constantly pings 5 IP addresses to determine if they can be reached. If they cannot be reached then the unit will do a power cycle on it’s own. There is lots of functionality to set up different criteria on the switch.
    Sometimes I do a manual power cycle when performance has degraded and this sometimes can result in an immediate improvement. I have a dual Wan bonded system so if I do the power cycle the traffic switches to my other Wan (I have 2 Fixed Wireless to the Home systems) with no noticeable impact.
    For a while I did try scheduled nightly power cycles but that really did not achieve anything. 
    The Smart IP Switch is not cheap but it sure can make life easier. 
    You can use a variety of methods to communicate with it external to your LAN system if you choose.

VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting @atomicboy and thanks for posting. Perhaps this needs its own topic even? 
    "How to reboot your devices without physical intervention?" 

Community Manager at Fing

• atomicboy
    atomicboy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 67
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer
    ✭✭✭
    Sure. 
    VioletChepil