Delay on Presence updates

HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
✭✭✭✭
Hi, I recently have an internet outage for more than 3 days in my home internet (problems with my connection to the ISP, the ISP network was okay).
When the internet was restore, I "move" some configurations in my ISP router, without realizing I block the access to non common ports from within my network to internet, because I wasn't aware of that, I thought the FingBox was some how "un-configure" and I deactivated and reactivated it on my account, in the reactivation path, I realice some tinkering on the router was the problem and correct the issue.
The other tinkering I did was in my inner router, changing my network mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0 (change to a class b network to prepare my network for more devices, I am going to start installing some IoT devices, for the moment in the same network till I get a more clear path for them).
Since then, all is well, but the presence update is really delayed... I thought the change of class on the network could be the problem, so in the FingApp I set the network to /24, up to 256 devices, to see if there is difference. No sure what is the problem...
As an example, for my presence device it usually alert than I "left" the network within 10 minutes of been off the Wi-Fi.  Now, it shows the alert more than 2 hours latter, but also register my change of status about an hour latter:
Today: I left my network at 7:05am, It alert me of that at 9:06am and register the change with: 7:57am.

Keep looking up!

Best Answer

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Hronos were you using /16 network configuration?
    This can really, really, really slow things down. This is because Fingbox must scan thousands of IP's in order to report on device statuses and it can take a really long time.
    We really recommend using the / 24 range. 
    I think you must change from your router not only Fing App to / 24?
    You can check in the NETMASK what is showing. Is it / 24 in the end? 

Community Manager at Fing

Answers

• HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @VioletChepil
    Before my change in the router, the mask was 255.255.255.0 (/24) and in the FingApp I wasn't defining the maximum network size ("Not specified")
    After the change, the router mask is 255.255.0.0 (/16) and in the FingApp I defined the maximum network size as "/24, up to 256 devices" in the hope than the FingApp/Box will search just for the 256 devices... If this is not the case, I will have to revert my changes and start (before plan :# ) thinking how to organice my IoTs  o:)
    Keep looking up!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it won't be the case @Hronos!
    I've seen this problem many times with delays when using /16 and I really think its the culprit! 

Hronos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I will try with /22 max, I really don´t have 65k (/16) devices, but 256 is not that large nowadays...
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to close the loop, I have change the network mask to /22 and all seams to be normal again.

Keep looking up!
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for reporting back @Hronos !!