Ring devices

Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
edited August 2 in Devices & Security
Anyone else using Ring devices?  I currently have a Ring Pro, a spotlight and stickup cam.  They work great and I've had no issues with any of them. 

Just curious if anyone else is using them and what your experiences have been.
VioletChepilGidsteradam

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 2,015 admin
    I've promoted - let's see if we can get some more contributors on this thread. Surely as we open the community wider we'll have more! 

Community Manager at Fing

• GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited August 8
    I only have the Ring doorbell (plus a Chime Pro - vital to extend to an external device in a difficult wifi environment) but it has become one of my favourite and most used smart home devices. It’s also the only one I pay a subscription for.

I’ve probably had it for as long as anyone. I was a backer on the original Doorbot Kickstarter campaign and the CEO came and installed it personally, as one of the first in Europe (he was on his way to a conference). He also sent over the first version of the Ring doorbell, which is generous.

There have been some negative rumours about Ring, notably security, but I have been impressed with how they’ve kept improving the firmware, even on the older models. This has successfully addressed key issues, such as latency and battery life (at the expense of video quality - but that’s not really a problem for me). The more recent and mains powered ones are likely to perform  a lot better in this respect.
    While it’s much used, I’ve not benefited in the way I’d expected. When I heard about a connected doorbell, I imagined I’d be speaking to delivery people all the time - making sure they’d leave the increasing number of online purchases somewhere sensible. But in the time it takes for notification to come through, to open the app and see the video - most people are heading away. And even if you do manage to speak to the visitor, there’s that uncomfortable conversation where you’re explaining that you can’t come to the door without suggesting the house is empty.
    What it does, thanks to the clips it captures on motion, is provide assurance with a visual log that people are arriving and leaving when they should. Did the kids get home on time? Did that delivery person pop my parcel in a safe place when they said? And so on.
    Once incident, during which it really came into its own was when my mother was looking after my kids for a day, and had to get them all to and from various places. It was planned with military precision but she forgot to take her phone - so I couldn’t check she was hitting the schedule. Fortunately, I could review the Ring clips and see the comings and goings were as expected.
    Head of Product at Fing
    Lee_BoadamVioletChepilJohn
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm in a Ring community on FB and there are a lot....LOT...of negative comments on the product.  However, when I try to offer assistance and troubleshooting, all I get is "I don't have time to mess with it", which tells me they DON'T WANT it to work so they can complain about it.  People don't understand there's a delicate balance that has to happen for wifi to work at its optimal levels.  Wifi devices and channel are the two biggest.  If I'm on the same wifi channel as all my neighbors and I get a new wifi device that doesn't perform well because of all that interference, then I start bashing that new device because it doesn't work.  This is a lot of the issues with folks using Ring.  They're on the same wifi channel as all their neighbors but instead of fixing that, they complain the product doesn't work.  I'm personally using a Ubiquity Amplifi mesh system at home and I'm on a channel that's not being used around me and I'm having 0.....zero.....ZERO wifi issues at home.
    VioletChepilKayJayBadPapaBear
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 2,015 admin
    Very interesting, until reading this I'd really considered getting one. Both my direct neighbours have one (the ring doorbell sound still rings in my ears). I've considered getting one for myself but based on this feedback I'll be holding off for now. 

Community Manager at Fing

CryptoMinky
    @VioletChepil it's a great product as long as it's on a network that's set up right.  You can buy any brand of wireless video doorbell but if the wifi network isn't fast enough or you are getting wifi interference from your neighbors, you may have issues.  
    VioletChepilKayJayCryptoMinky
  • RichCreedyRichCreedy Member Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    the ring app can be a bit flaky sometimes, but overall I like it
    GidsterVioletChepil
  • JonJon Member Posts: 4

I love Ring and it’s a brilliant tool for us police as it is so easy to send clips of any suspects

its been key in a number of cases

Only gripe - on that front - is when these same clips are posted on Facebook and other social media as it can really mess up cases and any identification procedures as any ID evidence for court has to be done in a ‘proper’ way according to PACE - ideally you shouldn’t have seen the images before and ids should be your own and not the rest of Facebook world 😂

Lee_BoGidster
  • adamadam Member Posts: 48 ✭✭✭
    edited August 10
    I've just installed a Ring Doorbell 2 in the last few days actually.     It's a bit slow starting the video for me as well so the comment by @Gidster about it all taking a bit too long to interact in real time rings true for me.  However, having said that I know that the bell has a pretty bad wifi connection right now due (as reported in the ring app).    I imagine quite a lot of people might have that issue because the doorbells are naturally going to be at the very extremities of their building and wifi range, likely far away from a wifi access point in the centre of it.  

The ring is already a huge upgrade from our previous cheap wireless digital doorbell as it is allowing us to get notified if someone is at the door a lot more reliably than before.  With the old setup some of the wireless chimes located a fair distance from the doorbell button would never ring so we had an issue if we were in the garden of actually knowing that someone was at the door.   that is now resolved completely with Ring. 

I'm in a rented house which has a really old school electric mains powered doorbell.  It's a huge ugly thing but has  3 real bells inside it which make a pleasant sound when rung.    We weren't using the original bell as I had a battery wireless doorbell setup before but now that the ring doorbell is connected to the wiring of the original house bell it's back in action.    It's a funny mix of old and new.   When someone rings our Ring doorbell the first thing you hear is this nice real set of bells chiming and then a second later the smartphones all ring.

I have a Ubiquity Unifi LAN setup and am going to be adding a new wifi access point to the outside of the house within 4 meters of the bell in the coming days which should radically improve the wifi connection it has.    If this makes a noticeable difference to the startup time of getting into the apps video screen I will post an update here.

UPDATE: just installed new AP near the ring and it's now with a green all OK status in the app for WiFi coverage. The RSSI rating has gone from 80 to 60. It is faster starting the feed but there are still 3 / 4 seconds to wait. I doubt it can be improved on that much. 
    GidsterVioletChepil
    edited August 5
    Jon said:

I love Ring and it’s a brilliant tool for us police as it is so easy to send clips of any suspects

its been key in a number of cases

Yeiks @Jon !  Do you have it setup in a public building or are you just in a really high crime area?! ;p
    VioletChepil
    When I had a single Asus wifi router, my Ring devices were hot or miss.  After I installed the mesh wifi, all those issues went away.  We're also a 100% Apple environment.  Not that it matters but a lot of the issues I read about are on Android devices.
    VioletChepil
  • MarcMarc Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭
    All of these devises require a pretty strong wifi signal in order to get a clear and reliable picture.  This is not always easy when they are installed outside.  I'm lucky mine work fine but then again, I have an access point not too far away from the doorbell.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Lee_BoVioletChepilGidster
  • JohnJohn Member Posts: 70 ✭✭✭
    There is a wired version with POE - Ring Elite, much more expensive but if that had less of a delay I would consider buying.  There does not see to be much info on it, probably because of the price. 

• DavidDavid Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    We've got Ring Pro + Chime etc and works a treat - best part is it announces on all the Alexa devices "Someone is at the front door" when the bell is rung, which is a great way to get the kids to actually bother to answer the door!
    GidsterCryptoMinky
  • andygodberandygodber Member Posts: 11
    Ive got 3 Ring Floodlights, Doorbell Pro, a Chime, and a Spotlight.
    Also on a Ubiquiti network (now Unifi, previously Amplifi).
    They 'sort of' work well. Video quality is good, motion detection, floodlight coverage etc is fine.
    However, support sucks.
    I have a possible 'known problem' where two of the Floodlight's video freezes for 2 seconds after 5-7 seconds.
    Ive been working with their support team for 3 weeks now - the support technician refuses to accept its a known problem (see Reddit etc) and she just told me this morning to try the first step again "put the camera near the router"......we've already done that as well as try on a mobile data network.
    VioletChepil
  • GlenBo84GlenBo84 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

I’ve got the Ring Video Door Bell 2 and a stick up Cam which over all I was we are happy with.

i have the issue of the road at the end of my drive so get a lot of false motions which currently I can’t stop so we have motion off ☹️

In regard to signal I use Linksys Velop Mesh WiFi and other than early day setups the current firmware seems stable....

VioletChepil
    edited August 9
    GlenBo84 said:

I’ve got the Ring Video Door Bell 2 and a stick up Cam which over all I was we are happy with.

i have the issue of the road at the end of my drive so get a lot of false motions which currently I can’t stop so we have motion off ☹️

In regard to signal I use Linksys Velop Mesh WiFi and other than early day setups the current firmware seems stable....

I wouldn't be bothered about the motion not being active, it simply isn't applicable. I was annoyed at first as well as it seemed like I was turning a big feature off but it's just impossible to make it work and no amount of clever software/AI is ever going to fix that.  If the camera is on a public street for example like mine is it would always be going off.   It's only useful for cameras inside an enclosed inner porch / landing or somewhere remote I guess.
    VioletChepil
  • KayJayKayJay Member Posts: 22 ✭✭✭

So from all the posts in this discussion I’m gathering that Ring products are recommended but just to be aware that they, like all wireless products, will be susceptible to overcrowded wifi channels and other wifi pitfalls. As long as you know how to change the channel on your wireless network to be something other than what your close neighbors are using then you shouldn’t have any issues.

I've been considering setting up a Ring security system in my home and think I may just move ahead with it now after reading some of these posts. Especially since I’ve already segregated my wireless network from my close neighbors as best as I can.

Thanks!

VioletChepil
  • KenDKenD Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    I brought the ring DoorBell about a month (battery Version) ago and find it's great. I've had absolutely no issues with it. I especially find the notification I receive on my smart watch great, my partner works from home at the back of the house so it's also great for him as it alerts him to someone is at the door. Will have to see how battery life is when summer hits, I think it drains a little quicker in Winter as we drop to almost 0 where I live.
    VioletChepil
  • tobidwesttobidwest Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited August 9

How do I turn on WoL on Windows devices?

VioletChepil
  • LeeLee Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    I live in a large house and have a Ring Pro. Fing has been alerting me if the WiFi connection fails on the Ring. I've learned from Fing that even though I've got have a WiFi repeater in the living room the signal to my Ring has been failing at times! Although the Ring usually reconnects within a couple of minutes according to Fing, there are times when my Ring is down for several minutes. Since that can possible affect my home's security I've decided to upgrade to a mesh system so my wireless internet signal will be improved throughout my house. Without Fing I would not have discovered this problem! THANKS FING! 
    VioletChepil
  • MarcMarc Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭

I have the original Ring doorbell. Great product and their customer service for me at least was superb. My first one was flakey, called customer service and had a new one delivered in a couple of days. No questions asked.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • EagleEagle Member Posts: 1
    I have a Ring Doorview (peephole camera) and a Chime.  They work well. Fing alerted me to the interruptions that I was getting with other devices before I purchased them and I bought the Chime Pro to extend the WiFi signal.  It worked, but I'm planning to extend my network with mesh devices to avoid a struggling WiFi connection in the near future. 
    VioletChepil
  • MurrayMurray Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I have a lot of Ring units installed. There are some general issues that can arise and fairly easy to sit. The FB user group is a box of frogs, so if anyone has an issue and they cannot get any help there I may be able to help. ring supportis pretty good, but sometimes it is difficult to get through to line2 when there is tech issue to address.
    VioletChepil
  • GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    Murray said:
    I have a lot of Ring units installed. There are some general issues that can arise and fairly easy to sit. The FB user group is a box of frogs, so if anyone has an issue and they cannot get any help there I may be able to help. ring supportis pretty good, but sometimes it is difficult to get through to line2 when there is tech issue to address.
    Thanks for the offer @Murray - I'm sure I'll take you up next time something goes wrong
    Head of Product at Fing
    Thanks @Murray - I might also be coming to you for help - I really am struggling with Level1 support - since I asked for escalation to Level2, I havent even had a response, which has deteriorated from the 3 day turnaround.....
    VioletChepil
  • MurrayMurray Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Eagle said:
     It worked, but I'm planning to extend my network with mesh devices to avoid a struggling WiFi connection in the near future. 
    Hi, adding a Mesh is defn the way to go. The Ring Chime PRO is basically a stop gap. But dO take some care when choosing your Mesh solution through, as there are some compatibility issues with Ring Battery models (no matter how they are powered). The Higher power Netgear Orbi units for example have a well documented issue where they cannot keep track of the Battery models and therefore comms is lost. The Lower power models on the other hand seem to be fine. Last time I check this had no been resolved by Netgear.
    It’s worth doing a quick ‘your mesh choice and Ring’ before purchase.
    VioletChepil

@Murray Ahhhhh i knew i had seen you in another group OTHER than on FING...😀

probably its between you and me who post helping others on the FB group previous!!!

MurrayVioletChepil
    KayJay said:

So from all the posts in this discussion I’m gathering that Ring products are recommended but just to be aware that they, like all wireless products, will be susceptible to overcrowded wifi channels and other wifi pitfalls. As long as you know how to change the channel on your wireless network to be something other than what your close neighbors are using then you shouldn’t have any issues.

I've been considering setting up a Ring security system in my home and think I may just move ahead with it now after reading some of these posts. Especially since I’ve already segregated my wireless network from my close neighbors as best as I can.

Thanks!

Hi ,

Dependant on what you have/buy and how you want it to connect around your house you could use the Guest network option that some MESH configs allow and use that for the RING products.

Myself, I have and use the LINKSYS VELOP Tri-Band system and that seems to work fine with RING products ie RVDB2 (battery Powered) , Stick up camera, 2 x Chimes......
    The RVDB2 gets around -51 RSSI which is within acceptable limits....

VioletChepil
    GlenBo84 said:

@Murray Ahhhhh i knew i had seen you in another group OTHER than on FING...😀

probably its between you and me who post helping others on the FB group previous!!!

@Murray @GlenBo84 ; Hey guys - please could you share the actual Ring FB link where I can make my cry for help? Im really doubting that the lady who is 'helping' me has done anything over the last 4 weeks, and is saying she's still waiting for Ring's level 2 to respond to her.......!
    hey @andygodber

Sorry for the delay in replying...
    Just do a search for RING on face book and you will find a group called RING USERS GROUP ..... There is of course US both lots of others users plus RING do monitor this group as well...