The Fing Roadmap

GidsterGidster London, UKMember, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161 admin

We really want our Fing Community members to have the inside track on what’s happening at Fing. So here, pretty much for the first time since the pre-launch campaign on Indiegogo for the Fingbox, we’re going to reveal some hints at some of the goodies coming your way 🎁🎁🎁

The biggest news is this Fing Community. Following fast on the heels of the launch of the ISP Outage detector, this is the thing that is getting most of our energy right now. We’ve not announced this to the World yet but, with your help, we want this to become the go-to place when anyone needs to troubleshoot their connected devices and smart home.

Later this year should see the introduction of the biggest change to the app in a long while, with the launch of a new Dashboard section. Following some very positive user testing with prototypes, this new zone will highlight some key data - for app and Fingbox users - and surface some hidden gems of functionality many of our users have struggled to find. We’ll also be looking to integrate some of the Outage Detector features into the app.

Something else we’re also working on is a version of our network scanner that runs on the PC and Mac. Not only will this give you more places to run a scan, we also expect this to provide the fullest and most accurate scans possible.

Of course, we’ll also keep making lots of smaller enhancements to all our products, such as the upgraded  export functionality we’ve just launched with the latest version of the app and always making sure we’re the best at showing you exactly what’s on your network.

Head of Product at Fing
Tagged:
VioletChepilKayJayLee_BoATHFFrettingIan_AlmightykltaylorTheCustomCavedynvorRobertoTomanicHronosStratt3000keithatpdanetologyJohnPetersMariusvamcjohlandtKING_CRACKER78AngLeeMDavideDonAdams

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 1,063 admin
    Exciting stuff! @andygodber thanks a lot for the question/request for this information. 

Community Manager at Fing

• Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
    Gidster said:

We really want our Fing Community members to have the inside track on what’s happening at Fing. So here, pretty much for the first time since the pre-launch campaign on Indiegogo for the Fingbox, we’re going to reveal some hints at some of the goodies coming your way 🎁🎁🎁

The biggest news is this Fing Community. Following fast on the heels of the launch of the ISP Outage detector, this is the thing that is getting most of our energy right now. We’ve not announced this to the World yet but, with your help, we want this to become the go-to place when anyone needs to troubleshoot their connected devices and smart home.

Later this year should see the introduction of the biggest change to the app in a long while, with the launch of a new Dashboard section. Following some very positive user testing with prototypes, this new zone will highlight some key data - for app and Fingbox users - and surface some hidden gems of functionality many of our users have struggled to find. We’ll also be looking to integrate some of the Outage Detector features into the app.

Something else we’re also working on is a version of our network scanner that runs on the PC and Mac. Not only will this give you more places to run a scan, we also expect this to provide the fullest and most accurate scans possible.

Of course, we’ll also keep making lots of smaller enhancements to all our products, such as the upgraded  export functionality we’ve just launched with the latest version of the app and always making sure we’re the best at showing you exactly what’s on your network.

Awesome stuff, thanks.
    And if it's available, I'd love to sign up as a beta tester.
    VioletChepilMariusvamLee
  • RichCreedyRichCreedy Member Posts: 30 ✭✭✭
    looking forward to new features
    VioletChepil
    @Lee_Bo thanks a lot. We'll be opening the beta testing channel at some point soon! I'm passing your name along too for the current process.

Lee_Bo
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
    @Lee_Bo thanks a lot. We'll be opening the beta testing channel at some point soon! I'm passing your name along too for the current process.
    Ok, thanks.
    VioletChepil
  • adamadam Member Posts: 47 ✭✭✭
    Updates sound great....  have you thought about using the beta feature of the Google Play store to allow users to sign up to receiving more frequent betas of the fing app ?  I'd be happy to assist in feedback with something like that!
    gfondeurDaveFi
  • GidsterGidster London, UKMember, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161 admin
    Actually @adam - we just started using the Play store Beta release feature recently, testing a version of the app to support Android Q. This feature has now been released in the main app but I'm sure we'll use the Beta release platform again
    Head of Product at Fing
    Fretting
  • adamadam Member Posts: 47 ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Gidster ; well if you plan on doing it again please let me know, would love to be at the forefront of changes. 
    VioletChepil
  • hopetindallhopetindall Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    I've really liked the recent addition of the ISP Outage detector!
    VioletChepilThibaudl
    I've really liked the recent addition of the ISP Outage detector!
    Great to hear that @hopetindall

• MarcMarc Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

Looking at the pc / Mac scan, would be instead of or in conjunction with fingbox. Would a Mac scan enrich the data already discovered by fingbox for instance.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepil
  • gfondeurgfondeur Member Posts: 8 ✭✭

Already subscribed to the beta through play store, awaiting good things to come

GidsterVioletChepil
  • GidsterGidster London, UKMember, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161 admin
    edited August 8
    Marc said:

Looking at the pc / Mac scan, would be instead of or in conjunction with fingbox. Would a Mac scan enrich the data already discovered by fingbox for instance.

We expect the Mac/PC version to initially operate like the app on iOS and Android, scanning the local network - with or without a Fingbox - but also (if not immediately in v1) also giving access to scans from your Fingboxes and other apps. Does that answer your question?
    Head of Product at Fing
    VioletChepil
    @Gidster yes, makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.  And so I have this right, it will eventually be able to access the fingbox scans?  To me that’s an important one. 
    VioletChepil
  • fedeb000fedeb000 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Can you add notification when the Public IP has changed? I have Dynamic IP and will be useful to know that.
    VioletChepil
  • kltaylorkltaylor Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    If you're accepting requests for beta testing, I've been part of many software platforms alpha and beta tests.  Besides, if I can use Fing instead of 'Advanced IP Scanner' that'd be great!
    GidsterandygodberVioletChepil
  • andygodberandygodber Member Posts: 11
    +1 for beta testing involvement please.
    VioletChepil
  • jw_nedjw_ned Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I love the app, but working on a large pc screen would be so great!!
    Regards, Jacco
    VioletChepilHronos
  • PoohPooh Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to do some beta testing on my Mac if y'all looking for another OSXhead... I would love the ability to have more real estate when making changes, viewing settings etc.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepil
  • TheCustomCaveTheCustomCave Member Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
    Very excited about the PC version and more than happy to test in both my home and work networks. Plenty of interesting devices in both.
    VioletChepil
    edited August 12

@Gidster looks like you have a pretty enthusiastic source of beta testers here. Count me in for Mac and PC if you need a tester.

VioletChepil
  • KayJayKayJay Member Posts: 21 ✭✭✭
    Hello @VioletChepil and @Gidster, please sign me up (count me in) for beta testing on the new dashboard as well as the PC/Mac versions of the app when you need people to start testing!  :wink:
    VioletChepil
    Great @KayJay we're still organizing how to do this but definitely when the time is right we'll keep you in mind! 

KayJaygfondeur
  • dynvordynvor Member Posts: 1
    Hello @VioletChepil
    Very Excited about the PC Version & more than happy to Test in both my Home & Work Networks. A lot of different devices in both.
    VioletChepil
    Great @dynvor we're going to start a private beta group on here when the time is right! I'll do a call for beta testers some time in the months ahead too. 

Lee
  • joltdudejoltdude Member Posts: 15
    edited August 23
    Like the thoughts of a PC version, though updates to the android app for larger display devices/better compatibility with say Chromebooks running android would be useful..  In general the android app has become better behaved on larger devices... 
  • ThibaudlThibaudl Member Posts: 6 ✭✭

Happy to be a beta tester as well for PC and iPhone.

• Stratt3000Stratt3000 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Awesome news!  Great to hear and very exciting indeed.
  • GlenBo84GlenBo84 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭✭
    Ill throw my hat in the ring as well if and when Beta testers needed..!
    VioletChepil