I’m new to this app and I find it quite interesting however. Can someone explain to me what the hops

TL97TL97 Member Posts: 5
Photogenic First Comment

Best Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    TL97 said:

I mean, can someone explain to me what the hops are and also the pings? Also what does it mean when one or more devices are labelled as Generic?

A generic device typically means that the software acknowledges its presence, but doesn't have vendor information to display.
    PING is essentially a system or operation that is requesting feedback on whether or not a device is online and responsive.  Think of it as poking someone to see if they are alive.  Same ideal.
    Hops are the number of systems or servers that the network uses to achieve its destination.  If you issue a trace route to google.com for example, it can display up to 30 hops but may obtain its destination within 15.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I spoke to that in your other post.  That's a traceroute screen.  Basically it shows you how many 'hops' it takes for the source device to reach its destination.  Without seeing the collected data that supports the yellow nodes, I can only assume that there is a time issue going from source to destination.  Regardless though it looks like it does reach its destination, its just not showing you how it traveled.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepil

Answers

• TL97TL97 Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic First Comment

I mean, can someone explain to me what the hops are and also the pings? Also what does it mean when one or more devices are labelled as Generic?

• TL97TL97 Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic First Comment

Thank you. Can you explain to me what this is? What the dots mean and everything?

kltaylor
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @kltaylor for your helpful answers.
    @TL97 if you need any more help with Fing App do let us know!

Community Manager at Fing