Fingbox blocks a Raspberry Pi3 every time it loses power...

SBontempoSBontempo Posts: 5Member, Beta Tester
Photogenic 5 Likes First Comment
Good Morning,
At any given time I have around 35 devices connected to my network. One of them is a Raspberry Pi 3 that I use as an ADS-B feeder for various flight tracking websites. Every time there is a power glitch or I lose power altogether, the Raspberry Pi 3 will shut down and reboot when power is restored. When the Pi rejoins the network, Fingbox blocks it and I have to go back in to unblock and Identify it. Then it is perfectly fine until it loses power again. I don't understand why it is always happening to this device only and Fingbox doesn't seem to remember it?  This has been going on since I added the Fingbox to my network last year.
On a side note, I realize that a UPS would probably keep the device from losing power completely and prevent this from happening but I'm more interested in trying to figure out what is going on with this in it's current configuration.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Steve
VioletChepil

Best Answers

• PoohPooh Posts: 675
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019 Accepted Answer

Hello @SBontempo and welcome to the community!

It sounds like your MAC address may be changing on each boot.

Does this Stack Overflow page help any?

Edit: also please see Steve's response below for more details.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepil
  • SBontempoSBontempo Posts: 5
    Accepted Answer
    Sure, but the suggestion in the link you provided didn't actually work. I ended up having to do just the opposite of what it said for some reason. 
    I had to add the "static MAC address" entry to the end of the "/boot/cmdline.txt" string instead of the "/boot/config.txt" file. I tried both but the "/boot/config.txt" didn't make a difference and the MAC kept randomizing.
    I made the change to "/boot/cmdline.txt" and completely power-cycled it twice now and the Fingbox blocking behavior has not returned.
    I'll mark it as answered in hopes that they read through the entire thread but either way, you got me headed in the right direction and for that, Thanks!
    Steve

VioletChepil

Answers

• SBontempoSBontempo Posts: 5Member, Beta Tester
    Hi, and Thanks!
    I haven't noticed a MAC change but it sounds like that could be happening. I'll go through the logs and see if that is what's causing it. I have 2 other Pi's on the network that haven't been doing this but they aren't 3's. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
    Thanks Again!
    Steve
    PoohVioletChepil
  • SBontempoSBontempo Posts: 5Member, Beta Tester
    Well that's definitely what's happening but the fix they suggested didn't work so I'm off to the PI boards for this one.
    Thanks Again!
    Steve

PoohVioletChepil
  • PoohPooh Posts: 675Member, Beta Tester
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    @SBontempo I'm very happy I was able to assist. It would help others if you'd be able to mark my answer accordingly. That way the next passing stranger with a similar issue might be guided by it.  :)

Thanks!
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKPosts: 2,471Member
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @SBontempo I've chosen your answer - to let other users know what solved this thread! 

Community Manager at Fing