Reference for ISP: How can I prove my connection is unstable to my ISP?

2»

Answers

• SimoneSpinozzi
    SimoneSpinozzi Monsampolo del Tronto (AP)Member, Beta Tester Posts: 99
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, at least not paying for a service not received is... something. 😅 Still, good luck. And don't completely discount your government's ability to intervene in your favour.
    Hronos
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hronos said:
    @SimoneSpinozzi ,Been there done that, same thing... they get a "penalty fee" if there is an "scandal" if not, nothing happens...
    Nevertheless, I was pointing out than we (and most countries) suffer the same issue that they have on USA about the ISP strategies to fulfill just the minimum at a given time (or for a zone of clients)
    If I were in that situation, I am pretty sure I will fight it with all the tools at my reach, but some times this is a loss war from the beginning (and many times people don't even try).
    Last time my service was faulty, they left me without service for almost a week, cable and internet, (because they say they "have" to be at my house to review, and revert what they have done remotely :( ...).
    The only thing they are supposed to do in this cases is to discount the time I didn't have service, in my next bill... 
    Just.  Wow.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • Kai
    Kai Member Posts: 7
    Photogenic First Comment
    The issue has been resolved for now. I have insisted for them to check the demarcation point and it was determined that the splitter was not appropriate for the bandwidth, furthermore there was no proper grounding. This measure improved the connection somewhat, but ping tests still had a huge variety of results - ranging from 10 to 1200 ms. They then send me another modem (Hitron CGNM-3550) which now provides a mostly stable connection - there are still big differences in bandwidth over the day, but a ping test now returns a fairly stable range between 10 -30 ms, but that would be expected from a cable connection I was told.
    This router however utilizes IPv6 and itcannot be turned off  - however when I block my device, my connection drops - I saw the warning that FinBox does not support IPv6 but at least in this case it stil seems to work. How does this work? Does my nic get IPv6 addresses assigned but only uses IPv4 for outbound connections? Another odd thing that I do not understand is that on my son's Samsung S8 phone when he is on block device schedule he still can watch YouTube - although his browser does not connect to anything. In the network settings he only has an IPv4 address. How does the YouTube app still connect when this device is blocked? I think he was able to stream videos before on the previous router (Hitron CGN3). 
    Would you recommend getting my own router and use the Hitron modem as bridge? 
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hitronhub.home
       IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2607:f2c0:eca2:2e::6
       IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2607:f2c0:eca2:2e:6d42:6939:9bef:e8dd
       IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : fd00:f81d:fb5:65a2:6d42:6939:9bef:e8dd
       Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2607:f2c0:eca2:2e:dd6c:a53b:2388:454c
       Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : fd00:f81d:fb5:65a2:dd6c:a53b:2388:454c
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6d42:6939:9bef:e8dd%20
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.13
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::fa1d:fff:feb5:65a2%20

Thanks for your input!

VioletChepilHronos
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Kai - could you start up the new question as a new thread? This will let us keep the topics aligned. 
    You could edit the closing response to this thread and then also start up a new discussion here in Fingbox:
    https://community.fing.com/categories/fingbox

Let me know any other way I can help!
    Cheers,
    Violet

Community Manager at Fing

Hronos