Which device is connected to each one of my wifi extenders/access points???

Gerson
Gerson Member Posts: 2
First Comment

Hi, this is my first question here, I've been using Fing for a while, but now my config has been growing using some wifi extenders for some areas and a couple of access points for other areas.

We deactivated DHCP in all extenders and access points, so main router manage ip assignment completely, each of them has different SSID, but now when using fing, it reports same devices connected no matter which extender/ap each device is connected to.

Example, When we use Fing and connect to ap1 (SSID: AP1) it shows 10 devices connected, then we disconnect from ap1, go to a different area and connect to extender1 (SSID: EXT1), and then fing recognizes we are connected to different SSID, but reports same 10 devices, no matter if only five or three are connected to EXT1; we have not implemented mesh network yet, so, the problem is sometimes devices get locked to one ext/ap even if they have moved and get closer to ext/ap with stronger signal. Fing recognizes EXT1 as network entry point, but we would like to see only devices which are truly connected to EXT1. How could that be done?

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,109
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Gerson, I have a Linksys Velop mesh setup and note, Fing w/Fingbox is not able to tell me which mesh node a device is connected to.  I rely in looking at the Mesh networks own web utility to tell me which node a device is connected to.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Karl_From_Fing
  • Gerson
    Gerson Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Thank you Mark, our problem is the network is not mesh, and we are trying to use Fing to diagnose because sometimes for an unknown reason mayority of devices get connected to only one extender or ap, all devices are correctly configured with all extender and AP users and passwords, so what we have tried is to disconnect congested ext/AP to force devices to search different wifi connection within same network, I have proposed to move to mesh technology but bosses don't want to spend again, and have the argument when devices are correctly distributed on different extenders/AP everything works fine.

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,109
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I switched from AP’s / extenders to mesh for a similar reason like you are experiencing. They would sometimes latch onto an extender and never leave it. Even if that extender was overloaded or was farthest away. That was using a single ssid for all of them. Going to a unique ssid helped with spreading connections but it was a pain to maintain and manage.

Switching to a mesh offering cleared that issue up for the most part. Not perfect but way better.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...