Adding Netgear wifi extender EX3700 cause "presence" issues

Adding the Netgear EX3700 wifi range extender to my router network causes my iPhone which registers my presence on Network as noted by Fingbox so find keep indicating that presence lost so recorded I have left 10 times already when not the case. Is there a fix?
kltaylor

Answers

• kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding the Netgear EX3700 wifi range extender to my router network causes my iPhone which registers my presence on Network as noted by Fingbox so find keep indicating that presence lost so recorded I have left 10 times already when not the case. Is there a fix?
    Does the same thing happen if you power down the extender?
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @DickBowyer to troubleshoot this we need more information about the alerts. Could you attach some screenshots?

Community Manager at Fing

kltaylor
  • DickBowyer
    DickBowyer Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Likes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭
    Powering down wifi range extender stops loss of presence episodes. However not a problem when my iPhone moves between different wifi areas of house (thick walls so multiple wifi areas) which have a wireless access points which are connected to router by ethernet. Problem occurs when connects to wifi range extender which connects to base router by wifi.
  • DickBowyer
    DickBowyer Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Likes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭
    Here is copy of the fing alert emailed to me
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Powering down wifi range extender stops loss of presence episodes. However not a problem when my iPhone moves between different wifi areas of house (thick walls so multiple wifi areas) which have a wireless access points which are connected to router by ethernet. Problem occurs when connects to wifi range extender which connects to base router by wifi.
    So with that step, we know that the problem is with the extender since the problem stopped happening when you powered it off.
    What happens if you move the extender closer to the router?  How about further away?  Is there anything in the room where the extender is currently that could feasibly interrupt connectivity (microwave, etc.)
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • OrangeBucket
    OrangeBucket Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments First Answer Photogenic
    edited September 28, 2019 #7

I'm not familiar with the Fingbox, but could it be as simple as it not knowing that your iPhone will be seen on a different MAC address when it is connected via the extender? The EX3700 translates the MAC addresses of its Wi-Fi clients by replacing the top three bytes.

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @DickBowyer - OK could this be creating 2 WiFi channels 2.4/5 Ghz and your devices are connecting back between though 2? 
    Also do you have Fingbox V1? This is only monitoring the 2.4 channel. 

Community Manager at Fing

kltaylor