Can FingBox monitor inbound traffic

sschmal
sschmal Member Posts: 6
5 Likes Founder Photogenic First Comment
✭✭
Can FingBox monitor inbound traffic on the wired side, want to see if someone or something is trying to hack into the network.
VioletChepil

Comments

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @sschmal just moving this one over to the Fingbox category here! https://community.fing.com/categories/fingbox 

Community Manager at Fing

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    So to share an answer on this, Fingbox does not inspect packets like a firewall. 
    It does alert about WiFi intrustions such as Evil Twin Access point, Man in the Middle attacks and KRACK attacks. 
    If you are looking for help with a tool that monitors inboud traffic - perhaps you could start a new Question in Devices & Security and ask for recommendations from the community? 
    https://community.fing.com/categories/devices 
    Fingbox doesn't inspect packets because we don't want to slow down the network and there is some school of thought around the idea that in order to monitor traffic the software should be directly on the router so it doesn't slow it down. If the device were to slow down the network it would likely be unplugged! 

Community Manager at Fing

• Lee_Bo
    Lee_Bo Member Posts: 271
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can also set Fing to automatically block new devices so you will know when someone connects a device to your network.  I have all mine set like this as default.
    CameronVioletChepil
  • sschmal
    sschmal Member Posts: 6
    5 Likes Founder Photogenic First Comment
    ✭✭

Thank you for the feedback, I think I will set the Fing box up to block new device to give me a little more piece of mind to work along with the firewall rules.

VioletChepil
  • yuk
    yuk Member, Beta Tester Posts: 16
    10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic
    I'd be concerned that blocking new devices by default would be quite an inconvenience if you frequently have 'valid' new devices dropping by - like contractors, occasional friends or acquaintances, test/review devices, etc.  In that case I'd be more inclined to get alerts when new devices seek entry to my network.  That said, blocking new devices certinly has its place!
    VioletChepil
  • Patrick_Shu
    Patrick_Shu Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    Depending on Routers, you maybe able to setup a "Guest" network.  As it is a different network, FingBox will not blocking new devices on this "Guest" network.
    VioletChepil