Windows machine shows up as a new device on every update

MichaelRowe
MichaelRowe Member Posts: 8
Second Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
I am not sure if this is a setup issue or a bug, but my windows machine ends up showing as a new device every time I do a windows update.  How do I get this behavior to stop.
Tagged:

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,003
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @MichaelRowe, what version of Windows is running on your machine?  I ask you this because Windows 11 (not sure if earlier versions support it) supports random Mac addressing which would exhibit the behavior your seeing.  

This is a feature to help prevent tracking of your machine.  If you're on your home network, there should be no issue turning it off.  I would recommend turning it on if you leave the house with your windows machine and join a different untrusted network. Give it a try and let us know if the issue goes away.

Follow this link for details on how to turn it off...  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-use-random-hardware-addresses-in-windows-ac58de34-35fc-31ff-c650-823fc48eb1bc

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Karl_From_Fing
  • MichaelRowe
    MichaelRowe Member Posts: 8
    Second Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    Thanks Marc, yes, it is in the house, and I am running Windows 11.  Thanks for confirming the behavior.
    Marc
  • Mi5X
    Mi5X Member Posts: 1
    First Comment