Duration of bandwidth analysis

ChimearaChimeara Posts: 10Member
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

Once bandwidth analysis is selected how long will it run for, is there a maximum time?

Best Answer

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKPosts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    @Chimeara thanks for your follow-up. This feature is designed for an on demand test until complete. I guess a few minutes depending on the number of devices. It's not designed for use over a longer period of time. Perhaps, you could ask on the community for advice from others on the best tool for ongoing monitoring of bandwidth? 

Community Manager at Fing

Answers

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKPosts: 2,471Member
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Chimeara bandwidth analysis is only run on demand until it is complete. We do not do continious bandwidth analysis because this feature requires re-routing traffic through the box temporarily to count packets and we don't want to create any slow downs! Typically some firewalls routing all the traffic can slow down the network. Let me know if that is clear! Cheers

Community Manager at Fing

• ChimearaChimeara Posts: 10Member
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    edited September 2019
    Hi @Violet what is meant by until its complete? I am trying to run the analysis for a 24 hour period but it seems to terminate after about 15 minutes as the traffic count stops at that stage. I am not worried about it slowing down as we have a leak that we can't trace using about 50Gb a day. I bought the Fing box hoping that it would help solve this problem. The loss is not caused by somebody downloading data, so I am trying to monitor the IOT devices managing our solar systems. I can't use standard software such as PRTG/Solarwinds as the devices are dumb regarding any network management protocols.