Our new tool for MAC vendor lookup

VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 1,616 admin

Exciting news! 

We have developed a new tool for MAC vendor lookup - to try to help you discover the device type of some MAC addresses on your network. When you visit the page it'll even tell you the device you are using! 

This is our brand new free online tool for MAC vendor lookup. 
https://recog.fing.com 

We're looking for people to test it out! Can you give it a try and let us know your thoughts on it in the comment below?
Thanks for your thoughts! 

Community Manager at Fing

Tagged:
PoohCarlo_from_FingHronoskltaylorVioletChepilBatraDidea2goButtertarts

Comments

• PoohPooh Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One suggestion: Right now the moment you start typing a MAC address in you get a red angry message telling you the address isn't in the right format. Hold your horses there guys - I hadn't finished typing! Might want to hold off displaying that until after the user has clicked away from the text box (or if they've entered a none Hex character or not a : separator).
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    Carlo_from_Fingkltaylor
  • Systops5Systops5 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    The Utility Page works Great! However, I am still curious why this is an issue? I have a Google Pixal 3a XL with Android 10, and I don't have any issues with the Fing App viewing MAC Addresses on my network. Perhaps I do not fully understand this issue. :(
  • HronosHronos Member Posts: 163 ✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil that's a pretty good tool!.
    I have a question: Why is needed to put the hole mac address to identify the vendor? I have the impression than with the first 6 chars you have the vendor Id.
    Keep looking up!
    kltaylorJWJ
  • Carlo_from_FingCarlo_from_Fing Rome, ItalyAdministrator Posts: 56 admin
    @Hronos you can put just first 6 and then all zeroes.
    But 1: we cover all IEEE OUI, even longer than just first 3 digits, as per: https://regauth.standards.ieee.org/standards-ra-web/pub/view.html
    But 2: if you put the full one, you get a chance to know also type make and  model, as our recognition (the one you have in Fing and Fingbox) uses machine learning to create prediction models to guess the device attributes even just from the MAC address!

Carlo from Fing

Hronoskltaylorjoltdudegfondeur
    @Carlo_from_Fing that's good to know and an awesome feature, to get more info than just the vendor.
    It's always been inform of that, because with a full mac address you kind of know a lot of the device, been a free tool some one can think you collect the information for further "actions"  >:) (I know you don't o:) )
    Keep looking up!
    kltaylorCarlo_from_FingVioletChepil
  • kltaylorkltaylor Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭✭

Exciting news! 

We have developed a new tool for MAC vendor lookup - to try to help you discover the device type of some MAC addresses on your network. When you visit the page it'll even tell you the device you are using! 

This is our brand new free online tool for MAC vendor lookup. 
    https://recog.fing.com 

We're looking for people to test it out! Can you give it a try and let us know your thoughts on it in the comment below?
    Thanks for your thoughts! 
    OMGosh you have no idea how helpful that tool is.  Thank you!
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepil
    Question:
    Can this be community-supported?
    Meaning, can we submit information to the database of a device so that as much detail as possible can be found on it?
    HronosVioletChepilidea2go
    @kltaylor the current best way to contribute is to scan with Fing app as much as possible! :smiley:
    But your idea is very interesting and we'll definitely keep into consideration for the future.
    E.g. one thing we have in mind for long time, but since it's not simple and quick we unfortunately did not have time yet to work on: in fing app when you have an unknown device but you know what it is, to allow you to put type, brand and model; instead of current mode that lets you just put a custom icon and name.

Carlo from Fing

kltaylorVioletChepiljoltdudegfondeur
    @kltaylor the current best way to contribute is to scan with Fing app as much as possible! :smiley:
    But your idea is very interesting and we'll definitely keep into consideration for the future.
    E.g. one thing we have in mind for long time, but since it's not simple and quick we unfortunately did not have time yet to work on: in fing app when you have an unknown device but you know what it is, to allow you to put type, brand and model; instead of current mode that lets you just put a custom icon and name.
    Thanks for the ressponse, and yes that was my thought on that too.
    Basically have the community help to build the database, as well as the ability to flag something if it's in need of verification or revision.
    I think that the added information would create a 'must-have' for that tool to be kept in an Admin's list of tools.
    Carlo_from_FingHronosMarcVioletChepil
    That is a good idea, we could (willingly) add information to the algorithm! =D
    Keep looking up!
    kltaylorMarcVioletChepil
  • MarcMarc Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭
    Why oh why is there a captcha that pops up after I've logged in?  Seriously folks real annoying and unnecessary as I have already authenticated..  Otherwise worked as it should and accurately recognized my router, nice work.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    kltaylorVioletChepil
  • Systops5Systops5 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Even though you are logged in, depending on how secure the API is, and what is used to verify the validity of the API's execution, the Captcha is wise to keep Bots from hogging up resources. However, the Captacha can be modified based on the version being used, to store the Captacha  validation, or they could just get rid of CAPTCHA all together and use  No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA.
    Would that be an option?
    VioletChepil

@Carlo_from_Fing , what about a feature where we can click in the app to submit a request to add a new device. Yes it will not automatically be added via the app, but at least you will get it and can act on it or add to your database as you see fit.

VioletChepil
    I have seen an odd behavior with my "Chromecast" mac hehehe.
    I use it with a wired network adapter and if I put the full mac address of the adapter, it shows as Vendor = Asix, type = streeming dongle, Brand = Google, Model = Chromecast, Confident = High... and If I just put the first 6 characters (vendor id) it shows me just the Vendor = Asix, the other details are blank and de Confident = medium. 
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepilkltaylor
    @Carlo_from_Fing , what about a feature where we can click in the app to submit a request to add a new device. Yes it will not automatically be added via the app, but at least you will get it and can act on it or add to your database as you see fit.
    We need to make it automatic on our side as well, in other case we would have a lot of efforts on your side (users) sending good leads and feedback on devices, and then on our side there would be a bottleneck of 'manual' operation to process, validate and ingest.
    At the moment the best thing you could do when you find that our recognition missed a device is:
    • manually put the device type
    • edit the name and put the device name in it, if it's in english, in a number of cases (not so many unfortunately), the Fing recognition will understand it
    For the future we'll make sure to provide you the best platform possible to make it a 2 seconds job with 1-2 clicks to achieve this.
    Thanks all for good feedback so far!

Carlo from Fing

VioletChepilMarckltaylorgfondeur
  • idea2goidea2go Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Love this!   Are you planning to let us access this through the app?  Or at the very least allow me to click thru from the app to a web browser with the info preloaded?
    VioletChepilgfondeur
  • BatraDBatraD Member Posts: 4
    great tool. I'm adding it to my always needed bookmarks
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 1,616 admin
    @idea2go I am not sure the plans. @Carlo_from_Fing any more details?

When you discover the network with Fing App, it already uses the same knowledge base to show you results in device list and device details.
    We're not going to add this in the mobile app anytime soon... but... stay tuned for better and improved 'Recognize this device' features!  ;)

Carlo from Fing

gfondeur
    One issues that I've noticed is the constant nagging to be "Captcha'd" I did 3 lookups in quick succession yesterday and each time I had to go through that laborious task of clicks Bicycles, Bridges and Cars...

Once you've logged in, is there a need to prove every time that "I'm not a bot?"
    MarcHronos
    I agree @Pooh and we're looking to improve that, as it's very annoying if you use it frequently...
    We use a google captcha service and it's out of control... during tests I did all kind of cars, semaphores, hills, cats, dogs, stripes...

Carlo from Fing

PoohVioletChepilMarc
    @Carlo_from_Fing : We feel each other's pain!  :s
    VioletChepilHronos
    @Pooh @Carlo_from_Fing ; :D Actually when I got very difficult ones, I felt a great sense of accomplishment after getting through finally! 

Hey, I complained about the captcha bit all the way at the beginning of this thread! 🙂

@VioletChepil , it stops being fun as my eyeglass prescription gets stronger... 😉

VioletChepil
    @Marc :D yes the fun wears off very quickly. Good to hear improvements may be coming! Thanks @Carlo_from_Fing ;

Marc
    @Marc I know and we agree. Since this kind of feature is subject to bots, we need to protect.
    We use: https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/v3.html
    We'll investigate ways of improving to make it less annoying.
    Or in other case ask you to identify devices in place of semaphores and cars  :D

Carlo from Fing

Marcgfondeur
    Marc said:
    Hey, I complained about the captcha bit all the way at the beginning of this thread! 🙂

@VioletChepil , it stops being fun as my eyeglass prescription gets stronger... 😉

True That! hahaha
    Keep looking up!
    Marc
  • EKogEKog Member Posts: 1
    Neat tool, but I won't be using again until the captcha issue is resolved. Just too annoying.
    VioletChepil
    Thanks @EKog for this feedback. @Carlo_from_Fing is definitely on it! We'll let everyone know when there is any update. 

This is the new version that is coming :smiley:

Jokes apart, we are investigating if tuning google recaptcha is possible, and will update the website if/when done.

Carlo from Fing

PoohHronos