watching guest network devices

CbaxCbax Posts: 6Member
Photogenic First Comment
Here is my setup.
I have a modem with wifi on for my   guest network.
I have a separate router for my  personal  network as I have many smart iot devices,  too many for my cable modem to handle.

I have my Fing installed on my external router which can only discover my guest devices if i first install it on main modem and set  watch device, I can then move it to the external router  and watch the device.

How come this works but cant discover the devices once moved. (i can watch them if they connect and disconnect)

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Posts: 760Moderator, Beta Tester
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cbax said:
    Here is my setup.
    I have a modem with wifi on for my   guest network.
    I have a separate router for my  personal  network as I have many smart iot devices,  too many for my cable modem to handle.

I have my Fing installed on my external router which can only discover my guest devices if i first install it on main modem and set  watch device, I can then move it to the external router  and watch the device.

How come this works but cant discover the devices once moved. (i can watch them if they connect and disconnect)
    My first response to this is ... 'two routers on the same network with consumer devices ... and it works?'
    Does your router for your LAN have the ability to support more than one AP?  Meaning, can you designate a wireless connection solely as a Guest network with no access to the LAN?
    When you place Fingbox on the Guest network, it will report and allow you to save that network.  Then when you move the actual device to your LAN router, it will collect the devices on that network and depending on how you save it the data, could feasibly append it to the list that you've already collected.  Fingbox will only collect information on the network that it's physically connect to, and not connect to a designated 'external' wifi even for guests to connect to.
    I've asked for this feature to be considered.
    Aside from that, you're going to have less issue if your modem/router simply acts as your modem with it placed in 'bridged mode' and allow your LAN router handle all of the traffic.  If you absolutely need a Guest network, you may want to source out and purchase a router that has that feature natively (ASUS routers have it).
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Gidster
  • CbaxCbax Posts: 6Member
    Photogenic First Comment
     I have a decent router that could handle everything its a tp-link ac3200  however because its a remote location I have the router on a wifi controlled power switch in case I have to power cycle it  (the guest wifi controls the wifi switch)  I find that sometimes in the even of power failure I need to power cycle the external router. (i only have one external router )  I am also using the local lan on the modem to supply the alarm system so it doesnt get  shut off if the router fails or does not reboot correctly.   I am not sure why but when i had the gues network turned on the tp-link sometimes the guests could not connect , it seemed to cause issues.  I have 32 devices many of which are  wemo wifi switches which do not take much data.  I also isolated the ip range on the 2 devices, the router using only 192.168.0.140 -.255  and the modem using 192.168.0.140 -.255.

I actually figured out what has happened,  the device I am watching is the wifi outlet that controls the router which is connected to the main modems wifi not the wifi that the fing is on,  if I  check the device ip address it shows "not in network"  however it  sees  the device is connected to the main modems wifi connection. - it even shows the wifi ssid its connected to and the signal strength.  I am a little confused how it does that. I am going to the remote location and will have to plug the router directly into the main power and remove the wifi plug and see if it alerts correctly that its offline.  You might wonder why im watching it  , it was simply a test to see what would happen.  I will try it with a connect lan wired device this weekend ,  I suspect it wont be able to watch these.

kltaylor
  • kltaylorkltaylor Posts: 760Moderator, Beta Tester
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an untraditional means of your network, but if it's working then go for it.
    I know in the past that there is always going to be an issue with two routers on the same network that's NOT using advanced subnetting for that to happen.  Typically in a consumer environment, you won't see that much.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain