Scan in Fing app doesn't pick up MAC address of local device, confuses devices

Niggle
Niggle Member Posts: 4
Second Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
Hi, I have Fing installed on Android phone and tablet. Lately I've noticed that when I run a scan of my home network, the MAC address of the device on which I performed the scan is blank. Then when I run a scan on the other device, again the MAC address of just that device is blank. This seems to cause Fing  to confuse the two entries, listing the phone as the tablet, or the tablet as the phone. I first noticed this issue maybe a couple of weeks ago, before that it was fine. Anyone seen this?

Answers

• Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 394
    100 Likes 25 Answers 100 Comments Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you still having problems? There have been a couple of bug fix releases recently so the problem may have been resolved.
  • Niggle
    Hi, yes, issue as described is still present.  Running 11.8.1 on both phone and tablet.
    Pixel
  • Niggle
    Below phone screenshot shows entries for 'nigel-s-s10.lan' and 'Phone Nigel S10'.

These are the same device with the same IP address.  The first entry resulted from a scan made on the tablet, and the second (missing the MAC address) from a scan made on the phone.

The converse is also seen on the tablet, where the scan shows two entries for the tablet. Same root cause, the local device is always missing the MAC address.

• Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 394
    100 Likes 25 Answers 100 Comments Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @marc & @karl_from_fing could you take a look at this please (I don’t have access to any Android devices to check it out), obviously IOS devices don’t display mac addresses & there’s no issues with Fingbox.
  • Karl_From_Fing
    Karl_From_Fing Administrator, Beta Tester Posts: 414
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Hey @Niggle
    I have created a support ticket for you in relation to this. Please respond via email address at your earliest convenience.