RING DOORBELL DEVICE IS NOW SHOWING THAT ITS BRAND IS “APPLE”

JenM
JenM Member Posts: 4
First Comment

PLEASE HELP!! Super grateful for any ideas or thoughts on this exhausting Ring/Apple Brand HUNT I have been on for almost a week!

THANK YOU!!!

I recently downloaded Fing. Have been using it for about a week now. I have definitely found suspicious activity, which is exactly why I searched for this kind of app. When I initially downloaded this app, of course I immediately scanned my network and my Ring Doorbell appeared and looked normal and was normal. A few days later, it changed it’s brand to Apple.

Quick backstory - After downloading fing, running several scans that same day everything seemed normal, and pretty in line with my home routers device list. The NEXT day in the evening, I ran another scan of my network, everything looked in order. Devices online, we’re in fact being used and devices offline were exactly correct. 20 mins or so later, decided to run another scan… right away I noticed that one of my tv streaming devices that was offline, was now online but now appearing that it’s “new brand” was Apple and better yet, it was specific in name “Apple Airport Express.” This completely threw me off. I immediately opened that tv streaming device and it appeared that all access was enabled to mirror, as well as Airplay and also enables internet as the ability to connect to other devices. I did check the devices on my router shortly after discovering this and that same device read as what that live streaming device was with the correct model information. I reset that tv streaming device, reconnected my home Wi-Fi, had Fing scan my network and everything was back to normal. 

Bringing this topic current.. The next day, in running another scan, I noticed immediately that my Ring Doorbell device now had iOS next to it. I opened up that device on Fing, and it now shows that the brand of my Ring Doorbell, apparently is now Apple. The Model and Version also changed and now reads that it is an iOS Model and an iOS Version. However, the IP address has stayed the same, as well as the Host Name. I have spent easily a full day of hours, combing through the Ring device settings, every nook/crannie on my iPhone, all of my laptop settings, deleting so much and clearing ALL data everywhere. I have googled forever trying to find an answer. I am really hoping this is my final stop. PLEASE HELP... THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!  

Btw- I am pretty sure if I reset or uninstall/reinstall Ring, it would bring everything back to normal? Maybe? I haven’t done that yet because I really want to get to the bottom of this.

The person living in my home temporarily, is the person behind this. There is another device that is showing up when scanning called “Generic” no real info other than the IP address to figure out what it really is; I suspect possibly some device, gadget, dongle, etc - used for internet connection maybe? I don’t know. This mysterious Generic Device is not showing up on my routers connected devices. (What I do know about this generic device, is if I reset my Modem the IP address changes. I did a search on the initial IP address that showed up on this generic device before I did a reset on my modem, and found that this device with that initial IP is known to be the WAN IP of the WeCast Wireless Dongle.) All I can say, is I have looked high and low, for any sign of anything that might support that finding. Still looking… Any help with this additional issue would be amazing too!!

With the Ring issue - Is it possible that the Wi-Fi on Ring or my Ring device is being used somehow to divert this possible “external modem/dongle” aka “mysterious Generic device” to avoid appearing on my network?

THANK YOU!!!

Comments

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,109
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    On the Ring doorbell appearing as an apple device, if your sure the IP address shown is truly that of the Ring, you can tell Fing what it really is to correct the issue.  You do that when you click on the device and where it says what it is, thumbs down it, search for the actual device and see it.  A generic device is usually one that Fing cannot determine on its own.  Same advice, if you know what that is, just change the identification from the app.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • JenM
    First Comment

Thank you for your response. I will triple check the IP address on the Ring, and then make that change. Any idea why Ring would show that it’s an Apple brand?

And the Generic device, I have no clue what it is. I did a little digging this morning, and the IP address for the generic connection is apparently used for an “external gateway of the internal network. A Wi-Fi wireless router or a switch with a routing function.” Good times! Btw - this generic device only has an IP address attached to it and nothing else. Do you by chance know what that might mean about this connected device? (Maybe you have seen, heard about this in the past?

Thanks again!!

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,109
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen this behavior at times...  Usually gets corrected by you manually entering what the device is.  As for the generic device, what some do is ping the address while unplugging devices one at a time till it stop responding.  Thats a brute force way to narrow it down but it works.  If nothing matches that, you might need to remove its entry from your router and reset the wifi password so it can't rejoin again.

By the way, if you have access points or repeaters etc with multiple bands, its possible the IP address is being used by one of them to connect to your network, though the devices configuration or admin screen should be able to tell you that.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    JenM
  • JenM
    First Comment

Thank YOU so much!!

This was truly SO helpful! I will take care of my Ring Doorbell and see what happens. And DEFINITELY take your advice with the generic connection and hopefully get this all figured out!!

THANK YOU!!

• darkstreetrich
    darkstreetrich United States 🇺🇸Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited April 12, 2022 #7

I had very similar issue as well. My Ring video doorbell was listing its OS as iOS. Then a week later it changed itself to Android. I resolved this by disabling the deep scan feature under the network tab for that device.

— Rich

• brodricj
    brodricj Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer
    This happens all the time with all sorts of non-iOS devices. I make the corrections manually, come back a few days later and the identifications are all messed up again. Very frustrating. I give up.