Android 10 & Fing App - Will Fing App work on Android 10?

VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 1,616 admin

Android 10 has started to roll-out, and Fing is ready for it. Find out more about when Android 10 will be coming to your phone model. 

Among the changes, devices running on Android 10 by default send randomised MAC addresses on each WiFi they connect and block access to the table of MAC addresses, and this limits Fing App’s ability to display complete device details in some instances.

Android 10 impact on Fing Network Scanner

Our inability to access the ARP table on Android 10, has the following impact on the free Fing network scanning app when running on Android 10 devices:

• MAC addresses of devices can no longer be discovered through the ARP Table.

• Device manufacturers can no longer be recognized as these come from the MAC addresses, although we will still attempt identification on a best effort basis using other network information that it is still available.

• The identification will be based on IP Addresses.  Custom names and icons can still be assigned to devices, but you need to make sure your DHCP assigns the same IP address to the same device.

• The Wake on LAN feature from the device details will be disabled, but you can create a Wake on LAN local or remote profile and enter the MAC address yourself

• The quality of the Device Recognition may be decreased, though we can still identify devices from other means, including all available discovery protocols.

We would encourage you to manually insert as many details as you can about your devices from the device details page. This will help you identify your own devices when you come back to the app. 

Get Fingbox to see MAC addresses on Android 10

If you get a Fingbox for your network you will still be able to see MAC addresses of the devices on the network via your app on Android 10.  

PC/MAC Fing App versions are coming

As per our latest company roadmap, we plan to release PC/MAC versions of the Fing App which will still allow you to see MAC addresses when scanning a network. 

Let us know your thoughts and questions in the comments below.

Community Manager at Fing

Tagged:
evokkltaylorHronosPixie

Comments

• Systops5Systops5 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    I have no problem with this running on Android 10. I don't know if this just has not been updated recently however, it appears to work just fine, with the exception of Bonded Network Interfaces.  I do not know if this was an issue prior to Android 10 or not.

As for a PC version of the App. While that would be great, even better would be a Web Config interface which would work Cross Platform, and could possibly include an API section to configure the output as would work best per our application, though this may cross into the Business Platform. IDK....
    VioletChepilkltaylorsmarkhamPetko121234
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 1,616 admin
    Really that is very strange @Systops5 is this with Fingbox? Fingbox would be fine. Are you able to get MAC addresses when scanning other networks - other than those with a Fingbox on it?

I am only using the Fingbox and App for a single network. That said, I don't have any problems with the App getting the MAC Addresses for all the devices on my network. Perhaps I missed understood the original post, but I didn't see where it was mentioning multiple networks.  My understanding has always been that Fingbox was only able to scan devices on the same network, so I was not looking for devices on any other networks, or how Fingbox would know of any other networks especially since the Fingbox doesn't have configuration for multiple Gateways which would be the only way that it would even know about another network. And when we say "Another Network" I am assuming we are referring to a different subnet.
    kltaylor
    Hi @Systops5 another network could be any network. For example at the airport, a cafe, your office. Each subnet requires another Fingbox to get all devices and MAC addresses for example. So, if you have a Fingbox - you'll get all the best device information since this is done by MAC address. If you have a Fingbox, and scan your work network without a Fingbox - you would not be able to get the MAC address and you'll get the best information that we have available. Let me know if that clears things up a bit. 

Hronos
    Well, no because I knew that already, I am trying to understand what the problem is with Android 10. Because I have it and I don't have an issue with getting the MAC adders on my network. Thats where I am confused. So what am I missing?
    kltaylor
    Have you scanned another network without your Fingbox @Systops5? Fingbox users wouldn't be impacted like the rest of Fing App users. 

kltaylor
    Right now, I do not have another network to scan. We have one network here, though the Fing Box does show as its own network which is a little goofy, considering it is on the same subnet as my router however, since my focus is on the Routers Network, I will not be using the Fing Box as a Network and scanning that. That would only add to an already complex network, and I need to focus on the devices on the Router since that is the network device all devices communicate through on the network
    kltaylor
    Thanks @Systops5 so this update will not be impacting you if you are not scanning other networks only with Fing App. 

Systops5kltaylor
    Ok, Since I have Android 10, can someone tell me what to look for on my android to try and see this issue from a droid point of view? Since I don't have any issues with the FingApp, I would like to try and see the issue from a droid perspective since I would be able to test these issues . Tks
    kltaylor
    Hi @CreigS I think your comment maybe we shall split into its own thread and have others comment on. I've split that off here: https://community.fing.com/discussion/910/android-10-random-mac-addresses-seen-by-router 

kltaylor
  • HronosHronos Member Posts: 163 ✭✭✭
    Systops5 said:
    Ok, Since I have Android 10, can someone tell me what to look for on my android to try and see this issue from a droid point of view? Since I don't have any issues with the FingApp, I would like to try and see the issue from a droid perspective since I would be able to test these issues . Tks
    @Systops5 I will try to simplify the symptoms here...
    If you do have a FingBox you will see the MAC Addresses from the FingApp (Android 10 or earlier ) because the device getting the MAC Addresses is the box, not the Android device.
    If you don't have a FingBox and use an android 9 or earlier, you will see the MAC Addresses, because FingApp can accesses the ARP table of the Android operative system.

If you don't have a FingBox and use an Android 10 device, you will NOT see the MAC Addresses, because of the restrictions already listed in the post.  But, I am pretty sure than if you already know the MAC Address of a device, it is stored in your account, so (I don't have an android 10 device to test it.  @VioletChepil could clarify if needed) if you "upgrade" or "change your device" from an Android 9 or earlier to an Android 10, you will still see the MAC Addresses of the already known devices.  All new devices will NOT show their MAC Addresses.

Keep looking up!
    PoohVioletChepilkltaylor
    Thanks @Hronos and @Systops5 I've checked in on your last statement and its not exactly how it'll work.
    If you don’t touch anything, you will see the MAC addresses (from the account storage). But once you start re-scanning on Android 10, the scan will switch to IP-based, and the app cannot tell for sure if the IP is still assigned to the old MAC address, so they get discarded.
    I hope this clarifies things for all. 

kltaylor

That is not happening on my device. I have a Google Pixel so I have Android 10. I rescan my network frequently and have yet to have this issue occur. This is why I'm not really sure how to quantify this issue. This does not happen on my device.

kltaylor
    @Systops5 could you open this issue you have as a new thread - and we can take the troubleshooting from there?
    If you have any supporting screenshots that would be very helpful too. 

kltaylor

Ahh, I take that back! I was just able to reproduce it.. I see the issue now. Not sure why this was not happening previously but I am seeing it now. Interesting!

kltaylor

However, I found that if I go into my WiFi settings, choose my WiFi Connection. Tap advanced, then Privacy Settings and change use Random Mac Address to Use Devices Mac Address, and I rescan my network all the Mac addresses are now found and matched with its respective IP. Now k can't be sure why thus worked but I would be curious to see if anyone else tries that if it corrects the issue for them as well.

VioletChepilkltaylor
    Ok can we start up a new thread @Systops5 and see any others feedback too? I'm curios too. 

kltaylor

Sure.

kltaylor
    Thanks @Hronos and @Systops5 I've checked in on your last statement and its not exactly how it'll work.
    If you don’t touch anything, you will see the MAC addresses (from the account storage). But once you start re-scanning on Android 10, the scan will switch to IP-based, and the app cannot tell for sure if the IP is still assigned to the old MAC address, so they get discarded.
    I hope this clarifies things for all. 
    I kind of knew something like that has to happen, It is really frustrating the limitations now you have to live with, for one who "want" a more secure network/devices... (I mean, if I am aware of the context, why not let me use the ARP table!! xD,I know, that Android/Google or iOS/Apple prerogative, but still... ufff!!!)
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepilkltaylor
    Systops5 said:

However, I found that if I go into my WiFi settings, choose my WiFi Connection. Tap advanced, then Privacy Settings and change use Random Mac Address to Use Devices Mac Address, and I rescan my network all the Mac addresses are now found and matched with its respective IP. Now k can't be sure why thus worked but I would be curious to see if anyone else tries that if it corrects the issue for them as well.

Interesting...
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepilkltaylor