iOS 13 & Fing App

VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in Fing Desktop discussions

Hello everyone,

We wanted to share a bit more information about Fing App on iOS 13. Drop us any of your thoughts and questions in the comments below. 

New features and permissions requested 

With iOS 13 you can now sign into your Fing account using “Sign in with Apple” leveraging Touch ID and Face ID, and use Fing’s dark mode directly from the phone settings. The Fing App also now requests location permissions to continue to read WiFi name (SSID) and address (BSSID).

Signing in to Fing App with Apple 

Using “Sign in with Apple”, you can use the Face ID or Touch ID on your device (or username+password on the web application) to create or merge with an existing account. 

EDITED: You need to sign out and begin to sign in again before you can see the "Sign in with Apple" button.

You decide what to share with us:

• Real name (or change them at the ‘sign up’ stage)

• Real email of Masked Relay email (a masked email that Apple will receive and relay to the final user)

Important to note: if you opt in for the masked relay email, we might not be able to support the IFTTT/Google Assistant/Zapier integration right now. If you have an Apple ID based on an email (e.g. [email protected]) and the account already existed in our system, the system will merge the Apple ID to the existing user (like we already do for Google and Facebook sign in: the email address is the unique identifier, and if it’s used on multiple platforms, signing in via Google/Facebook/Apple will lead to the same account).

Location permissions requested 

As WiFi information nowadays is considered by Google and Apple as relevant data that can identify a coarse location (e.g. if I scan a network called “NY LaGuardia Airport” this could indicate where I am), all App requesting to access to WiFi details must now ask also location permission, so you are aware that sharing that info may indicate your location.

What happens if I do not want to grant locations permissions?

We strongly recommend granting permission to keep the App fully functional.

If you do not grant location permissions:

• The app cannot show the name of the Wi-Fi (the name will appear empty)

• The app cannot differentiate between Wi-Fi networks, so each scan will restart from scratch. Previous customizations will also not be loaded for that network.

I did not grant my location permissions, but now I have changed my mind. What can I do?

Initially you will be prompted to provide permission to access location. If you have denied it and then reconsider, you must make changes in the  phone settings. To do this, go to phone Settings -> Fing -> ‘Location Permissions’ 

Let us know your thoughts on Fing App and iOS 13 in the discussion below! 

Community Manager at Fing

Tagged:
PoohevokHronosMarcspfthink

Comments

• PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1000 for the "Sign in with Apple" feature. Gawd bless y'all at Fingland for that feature alone...

Thanks so much for this detailed list - I'll add this to my list of 'Refer to' pages for future community replies!
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepilevokHronos
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Pooh for the nice feedback on it :smile:

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I think its due to the email not being the same. Let me check with the team on the best course of action for this one. 

Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hey @Marc I'm just splitting this one off into its own question and I'll take it from there as this is useful and definitely going to come up again! 
    Here is our new thread and I'll continue troubleshooting from there: https://community.fing.com/discussion/850/ios-13-logging-in-with-apple-created-a-new-fing-app-account

MarcHronos
  • pwmeekpwmeek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 136
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Just an addition to @VioletChepil's instructions: you need to sign out and begin to sign in again before you can see the "Sign in with Apple" button.
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    HronosVioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @pwmeek I've added that into the post marked with EDITED. Thanks for reminding of that. 

pwmeek