Some of my Raspberry Pi names vanished

Walrus
Walrus Member Posts: 3
First Comment Photogenic
edited March 4, 2022 in Devices & Security #1

I scanned our home network, edited the data for all my machines so I could tell what they all were, and you did some update that blew away all that information, setting them all back to default. Thanks for nothing. I bet there's no way to get the information back. Dreadfully poor. [edited to remove cursing]

Tagged:

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,109
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Walrus, can you let us know what version of the app you are using?  Ws it Mobile or desktop?  Or do you use a Fingbox? There are few scenarios where this can happen and the more info you can give us, the better we can help you out.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Walrus
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi, sorry for the rudeness earlier.... I can't see a version number, it's the standard Android app, updated (as far as I know) to whatever is latest. Not all of the machine names have vanished, just the Raspberry Pi WiFi ones, the Ethernet systems are unaffected, except the Ethernet connected printer. One of life's mysteries, and I do have work-rounds anyway... Cheers, Chris
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,109
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This could happen if a device has private addressing active.  Not sure if the PI’s os supports this (Though Linux does).  Effectively this changes the MAC address every time a system reboots which appears to a Fingbox or app as a new device.  Hence all of the devices attribute info you entered disappears.  The only way to avoid this is to disable that on the device.

Have a look and see if its enabled and if so disable it.  If its not active or enabled let us know and we will bring some more folks in to try and help.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • rasa
    rasa Member Posts: 8
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    Walrus said:

I scanned our home network, edited the data for all my machines so I could tell what they all were, and you did some update that blew away all that information, setting them all back to default. Thanks for nothing. I bet there's no way to get the information back. Dreadfully poor. [edited to remove cursing]

Same thing just happened to me. All my old entries that had their MAC addresses have now disappeared, with no way to get them back. This app is next to worthless now. What a waste of time.
  • Walrus
    First Comment Photogenic
    Four of the Raspberry Pi's have static IP addresses, as they're in a cluster, but they have not actually lost the name information. I don't think you need to divert effort from anything else. When I get a moment to do it, I'll try putting the names back on, and see if they stay.