How to remove unknown Devices on Home Network

BMJM70
BMJM70 Member Posts: 6
First Comment Photogenic
edited March 4, 2022 in Devices & Security #1
Hello All, I have 4 devices (out of 9) connected to my home network that I cannot Identify. One is by the company "Espressif" (but I still do not know what device it is), and the other 3 "Unknown". For the 3, I have tried online MAC address lookups, but zero search results. Before I block these devices on my Router, would like to know what they are! Can the Fing App on my iMac help answer this, or alternatively the paid version of Fing? Or is there another method? Thank You!

Comments

• Trudy
    Trudy Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I have same problem 
  • Scribblygum
    Scribblygum Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Expressif is Smart Lighting or cameras - I have multiple on my network, once identified ensure you rename item, hope this helps

• Karl_From_Fing
    Karl_From_Fing Administrator, Beta Tester Posts: 414
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭

Hey @BMJM70 @Trudy and @Scribblygum

The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognised correctly e.g.

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fing.

- Limited information being offered by specific devices.

If you are using an Apple device to run the Fing app with IOS14 then please refer to this article which has detailed information on how to make Fing app work with IOS14: https://www.fing.com/news/private-mac-address-on-ios-14

We have actually included a new feature: Manual Device recognition - It is now possible to manually recognize devices: when Fing recognition is not sharp enough, you can manually provide the brand and model of your devices. Which will hopefully be of benefit to you. 

To manually identify the misidentified device on Fing app, I would suggest to:  

• Sign in to the Fing app

• Go to Device List   

• Click on the misrecognized device.

• Below the device name and O.S, you will find a text saying "Did we get this right?" 

• If you click on (thumbs_down icon) then it will allow you to manually enter the correct O.S and model of the device.

• Lcdxr01
    Lcdxr01 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Hi.  The unknown might be “un-named” home automation devices, some from a company called sonoff, these include plug in devices to automate lights, the M33 mhz bridges to integrate older devices or the door sensors.  f you use sonoff then the app eWeLink will display MAC address on all registered devices. Hope that helps.
  • BMJM70
    First Comment Photogenic
    Thank you all, that helps. I do have a 2GIG security system with Honeywell cameras, so that is probably the Espressif device! Will rename that one in the App. Also can see on the Fing App that two of the others are our iOS devices, at least one a phone, so have narrowed that down as well. (Typically we have our iOS devices set with WiFi off - prefer to use Cellular data, as we live in a rural area close to a cell tower but no cable into the home.) Use a Mobile Hotspot with limited data for streaming on TV but stream on iPads via Cellular.
  • BMJM70
    First Comment Photogenic
    Karl, the article you linked also helpful!
  • BMJM70
    First Comment Photogenic
    This has been so helpful, will get the Premium version of Fing to see what else in general I can learn.
  • BMJM70
    First Comment Photogenic
    P.S. For info, the Home Security system has it's own Cellular connection (which is paid for I assume via my payments to the Security service), however, it has a remote feature to see what the cameras are looking at while away. That remote feature would use my home networks' data, hence it connects to my home network. Again, thanks all.
  • VioletVon
    VioletVon Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

To remove any devices from your network your first going to want to log into your router. You do this by typing the IP address of the router into the search/web page bar at the very top of your page. Once you get to that page your going to want to log in using the username& password which will be located on a sticker somewhere on the physical router. If there's only a password and no username on the sticker then the username is normally just 'Admin'. Once your logged in you'll want to proceed to wireless settings or even firewall depending on how your router is set up. Sometimes routers you purchase at the store have a different setup regarding router settings & which tab they're located under. If you've got a router that is provided by your internet provider then normally you'll find this under wireless settings