Local traffic from Fingbox tries to go through firewall

andye
andye Member Posts: 3
Second Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
edited February 22, 2022 in Fingbox #1
Is there any reason local connections from a Fingbox (set up as a /24 IP) should go through the local gateway to other devices on the same /24 network?  The Fingbox has its IP allocated by a DHCP server, it is getting the correct IP, DNS and gateway information but for at least some connections that are to devices in the same subnet, they are sent through via the gateway, not directly.

Answers

• andye
    edited February 22, 2022 #2
    (Updated original question with more detail)
  • Karl_From_Fing
    Karl_From_Fing Administrator, Beta Tester Posts: 283
    100 Comments 5 Answers 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Hey @andye
    To investigate this issue, may I ask you to explain your network setup, and where the fingbox is connected to? This will help us understand your network and troubleshoot this issue.
    Thank you!
  • andye
    It was plugged into a switch, part of a single subnet that is served by a single DHCP server with a short lease time. Because of its location, physically, powering it off and on wasn't my first choice (and that it has never needed me to do this either. In the end I tried giving it no gateway via DHCP, then about five minutes later giving it the gateway info again ... a few minutes later the Fingbox became available on the app, and the strange traffic had stopped. So it was like it got its routing confused. BTW, no non-Fingbox devices had any issues during the couple of days the Fingbox had gone to being disconnected.
    Karl_From_Fing