Best mesh system for Fingbox compatibility

Mrbob54
Mrbob54 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
5 Likes Photogenic Founder First Comment
✭✭
edited August 1, 2019 in Fingbox #1

I am thinking about switching from a router and extender wifi system to a mesh system and was curious if there was a mesh system that seems to work best with the Fingbox.

Thank you

Tagged:
VioletChepilLee_Bo

Comments

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot for this question. Just moving it over to Fingbox category and slightly modifying the title to be more descriptive so we can get people to answer this one! :) 

Community Manager at Fing

Mrbob54
  • Lee_Bo
    Lee_Bo Member Posts: 271
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mrbob54 said:

I am thinking about switching from a router and extender wifi system to a mesh system and was curious if there was a mesh system that seems to work best with the Fingbox.

Thank you

I'm not really sure if there's going to be one system that's better than something else.  As long as the Fingbox is connected and wifi has good coverage area, you should be ok.
    Mrbob54MurrayVioletChepil
  • Thorathome
    Thorathome Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments First Answer 5 Likes
    There’s one other thread about mesh systems in this community. The popular mesh systems i know are the Eero, now part of Amazon, the Google Mesh system and the Netgear Orbi. There are probably others - find the other thread. I own the Netgear Orbi and would not buy one again. Too much manual work to connect, reconnect. It generally does not reconnect itself automatically after an outage. Next round, I’ll try one of the others. Eero is not yet available outside of the USA, was bought by Amazon recently. 
    Mrbob54VioletChepil
  • John
    John Member Posts: 110
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    I use BT Whole Home, works with Fingbox as 3 separate AP's (which I imagine is the case for all of them).  That said I would probably want devices with a little more management functions if I bought again.  Don't get me wrong it works perfectly, but not really any advanced functions besides the basics
    Mrbob54VioletChepil
  • jw_ned
    jw_ned Member, Beta Tester Posts: 16
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I use AVM Fritz router and access points (2 wired and 1 wireless). Sold seperately but working great together. And working with fingbox.
    Except for one tiny detail: fing app does not show name and ipadres of the router correct. It shows 192.168.2.201+1 instead of 192.168.2.254. And it shows the complete technical name of AVM instead of the name I gave the router in fing. Or am I doing something wrong?
    Regards, Jacco
    Mrbob54VioletChepil
  • Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Eero works an absolute treat and required almost no effort to set up. Being on the same network as my fingy made zero difference to anything.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    Mrbob54VioletChepil
  • GlenBo84
    GlenBo84 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 31
    10 Comments First Anniversary First Answer Founder
    ✭✭✭
    I currently use LINKSYS VELOP system with 4 nodes around the house.  tri band system  Was a slightly mission to setup BUT that was on earlier versions of setup
    Mrbob54VioletChepilCrantheman_77
  • Sierra1
    Sierra1 UKMember, Beta Tester Posts: 7
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Founder Photogenic
    ✭✭

I’m using a Devolo Magic 2 mesh @Mrbob54 and it seems to work well using power line transmission between the wi-fi nodes. No problems using it with Fingbox.

Mrbob54VioletChepil
  • heathdj
    heathdj Member Posts: 3
    5 Likes Founder First Comment
    ✭✭
    I use the Tp-Link Deco, I have a mix of the older M5's and the newer M9's.  Both are easy to setup and work really well with my Fingerpick Box on the same network.  You simply plug them in and use the app to add them to the mesh.  You can do ethernet backhaul our let it use a wifi channel for backhaul.
    Mrbob54VioletChepil
  • Murray
    Murray Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    I don’t think I have seen any issues with Mesh systems and Fingbox posted in the FB group? The Fingbox is pretty agnostic and I have never found any negative interactions so far.
    VioletChepilGlenBo84Mattman
  • GlenBo84
    ✭✭✭
    Murray said:
    I don’t think I have seen any issues with Mesh systems and Fingbox posted in the FB group? The Fingbox is pretty agnostic and I have never found any negative interactions so far.
    i would agree, the Fing Box is just sitting on the network as such as another device so wouldnt really interfere with the Mesh .....
    VioletChepil
  • Mattman
    Mattman Member, Beta Tester Posts: 26
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary Founder
    ✭✭✭
    It works just great with my mixed network that has an Amplifi Instant system, some wired connections, and a remote connection about 200 yards away over two Yagi antennas and a couple of Ubiquiti Bullets.
    VioletChepil
  • GlenBo84
    ✭✭✭
    As of the other day Linksys rolled out a new firmware which i must say so far has been impressive. 
    The nodes now have better control over what node a device uses. Also now has better self healing and strongest signal route.

Even throughput seems to have improved.... Fingers crossed this a great and stable update !
    VioletChepil
  • Burratha
    Burratha Member, Beta Tester Posts: 13
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments First Answer 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    BT WholeHome for me. I have 3 discs and would recommend. Does what it says on the tin.

Depends what you want. As has said before, it's not the most advanced or configurable platform out there, but it's stable and it works well.

One excellent relatively undocumented feature of the WholeHome discs is the ability to use one as a remote LAN wifi bridge - so you can plug a switch into the RJ45 network port at the back, and any hardwire device can become connected to your network via the disc's wifi mesh. I use this to finally get a decent connection for my Sky mini box which would be forever dropping the signal before it was plugged in by wire.
    VioletChepil