Fingbox config vs. Wifi config

PatrickJ
PatrickJ Member Posts: 7
First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
edited February 20, 2022 in Fingbox #1
Hi everyone, hope I’m not asking the obvious. I finally took the time to setup my home network correctly, all devices setup from scratch, named and added to my Fingbox v2 with premium account. 

I’m looking at the Fingbox config in the app being completely in sync with reality, however, I see the app also lists my Wifi network seperately (basically on top of the Fingbox config), listing the same devices I just identified and named, BUT asking to identify them… there’s no name, there is an ask to  “confirm this device is in your network”?

Feels like the network is safe with the Fingbox… yet not safe… 
Many thanks for your response!
Tagged:

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,028
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2022 #2
    Hey @PatrickJ, without actually seeing what your seeing ,  I'm going to suggest one thing to try.   Make sure you have picked your Fing network as your default.  It does not do this automatically.  You can do this from the current wifi section on the home screen, then choosing the list icon on the far right, then left swiping on the Fing network and selecting the home icon.

One more thing, if your devices are set for private Mac addressing, this will also force Fing to ask you what something is as the Mac address keeps changing every time a device joins the network or restarts.  You need to turn that off on your local network by device for this to work right.

Also moved this thread to the Fingbox section for relevance...
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin_Ex_Fing
  • PatrickJ

Thanks for your response Marc! I’ve took some time to reset the Fingbox and set it up from scratch, but having the same challenge. I have the Fingbox listed and the Wifi network listed. I’ve named all the devices as part of the Wifi network, however, this does not transfer to the Fingbox (neither does it vice versa). Have added some screenshots, you’ll see the same IP addresses listed, nicely named in the Wifi section, standard Fing listing in the Fingbox section. Hope it makes sense.

• Karl_From_Fing
    Karl_From_Fing Administrator, Beta Tester Posts: 283
    100 Comments 5 Answers 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Hey @PatrickJ
    To address your query, I would like to tell you that if you have Fingbox and then you install Fing desktop then, first of all, you will see multiple networks under your account. Only those networks will merge from Fing mobile app and Fing desktop which are without Fingbox. Also, if you are in the mobile app and then you open Fing Desktop network then names, customization will merge but not with the Fingbox network. And if you have iOS 11+ without mac address and if you run a scan from there, you will see another network w/o any mac address. If you open the network pushed by Fing desktop, you will see it but will not be able to refresh from mobile.
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,028
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to try to sort this out @Karl_From_Fing... To me at least, it's a bit confusing. Please tell me if I understood what you were telling us...

• Networks discovered natively with either the Fing Desktop or the Fing mobile app (but not via a Fingbox) can be merged
    • In regards to those devices discovered natively by the Fing mobile app or Fing desktop (but not via a Fingbox), if you modify those objects attributes like name etc, it will be reflected in both apps
    I am a little confused by these two with but I think I know where you were heading, so let me take a stab at it... Please correct where I am misinterpreting what you wrote.
    • Devices discovered or scanned by the Fing app on an iOS 11 or newer device with private addressing on, any network it discovers will show devices without a MAC address.
    • Networks discovered by the Fing Desktop can be seen on the Fing mobile app but you cannot do a network refresh from that same mobile device, you can only do that from the desktop that discovered it.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Karl_From_Fing
    Karl_From_Fing Administrator, Beta Tester Posts: 283
    100 Comments 5 Answers 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Hey @Marc
    Yes you are correct. On fing desktop there is no restrictions so it can identify MAC addresses, however this is not the same situation on the IOS or Android. IOS and Android cannot identify MAC addresses. This will be automatically merged however if you do another manual scan on fing mobile app, it will overwrite the existing information which was perviously merged via Fing Desktop and go back to generic information.
    Marc
  • PatrickJ
    edited March 4, 2022 #7
    @Marc, @Karl_From_Fing, many thanks for taking the time here! It's been a busy week for me but finally weekend again, hope you're all ok!

I understand the conversation on the identification / Mac addresses etc.. What I would like to know is the best way to configure my setup, which is not entirely clear yet.

With a premium account and a FingBox I would expect to have a Single Point of Truth, the one point where I  name my devices, get notifications (e.g. new devices) and merge my access points.

Is that in my Main wifi network, is that in my "Fingbox"? Is that in my desktop app?
  • PatrickJ
    @Marc, @Karl_From_Fing, many thanks for taking the time here! It's been a busy week for me but finally weekend again, hope you're all ok!

I understand the conversation on the identification / Mac addresses etc.. What I would like to know is the best way to configure my setup, which is not entirely clear yet.

With a premium account and a FingBox I would expect to have a Single Point of Truth, the one point where I  name my devices, get notifications (e.g. new devices) and merge my access points.

Is that in my Main wifi network, is that in my "Fingbox"? Is that in my desktop app?

Many thanks again!
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @PatrickJ
    You can customize device names on Fingbox network as Fingbox monitors the network 24/7 and thus you will receive real-time alerts. You have to customize Fing desktop network separately as they dont merge with Fingbox network at the moment.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    PatrickJ