Alert on State Change with a custom time - does it work?

cjbrooker
cjbrooker Member Posts: 6
First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
I have a Fingbox and a few devices on my network that I want to know if they go offline e.g. my Nest Thermostat.
I enabled the 'Alert on state change' option for these in the Fing app. I soon realised that I was just getting too many notifications with the default (20 min) time even though I'm sure the devices haven't been offline for 20 minutes. I tried tweaking the times from the default setting and even when set to a few hours I'm still getting notifications. Is this feature working properly or are my devices really dropping off the network for a couple of hours every day during the daytime?

Answers

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @cjbrooker

The usual default value for alert is 20 minutes. Sometimes, when the device is not in use, it may go to sleep mode and then if the state change is set to the lowest value of 1 or 2 minutes, it can be recorded as offline or out of range. So, when it returns back from the sleep mode, it will be marked as 'Online' and thus providing you with an alert. If the state change alert value is set to more than 20 minutes, then until that time period is finished, that device will still be marked 'Online' and only after that time period it will be recorded as 'Offline', thus providing you with an alert.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!