Fingbox offline daily

ErnieBernie
ErnieBernie SwedenMember Posts: 48
Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Agrees Name Dropper
✭✭
edited February 14, 2022 in Fingbox #1

Hi there. On daily basis my Fingbox is offline for a few minutes (blinking red). My wifi is working fine though all the time.

It doesn’t bother me but just wondering what the problem could be.

Thanks

Comments

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

There are two reasons for Fingbox going Offline:

1) Internet Outages. The fingbox is correctly connected to the network and the home wifi works well, but the internet is down. These outages are underlined in the timeline on the speed test view. In that case, please check for minor Internet outages with your ISP.

2) Lost of load-bearing. In this case, the fingbox seems to lose the IP address. It might due either to the cable or to the switch connected to.

I would like to confirm if the ethernet cable is not broken. As you restart the Fingbox, it forces the network to reach its full speed but if there is any damage on the cable, the speed will drop thus leading to Offline.

Can you try few steps and see if the issue persists? You can ignore the steps which you have already tried.

Steps:

• change ethernet cable to new CAT 6 or 7 cable
    • try different power cable
    • change port on router for Fingbox
    • set correct network mask size under Fing app settings
    • perform a power cycle of router and Fingbox
    • remove blue case and keep Fingbox in a open space

To increase the network size on Fing App.

• Open the Fing app and Sign in.

• Tap on the Avatar icon from the bottom tab

• Scroll down and Click on 'App Settings'

• Scroll down and go to the "Maximum Network Size" setting and select the size based on the number of devices connected to network in your house.

Or, you can check if the Ip address assigned to Fingbox is not being used by other Device which disconnects the Fingbox from the connection. I would request you to assign a Static IP address to Fingbox which will help us to isolate the issue. Assigning Static IP address to most devices is easy, just go to its network settings, look for DHCP option and turn it OFF. Once you do that, you'll see a text area to enter Static IP address. Enter the new IP address there, save changes.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • ErnieBernie
    ✭✭
    Hello Robin,

Thanks so much for your reply.

After my reset of the Fingbox last week I indeed forgot to set the Network size in the Fing app. I have also assigned a static IP address to the Fingbox. Now that's done I await few days and see what happens. I will keep you posted.

Kind regards

Erwin
    Robin_Ex_Fing
  • ErnieBernie
    ✭✭

Hi Robin,

Just confirm that my Fingbox has been working fine the whole week. Thanks for your help.

Robin_Ex_Fing