Fing keeps forgetting make/type/name of TP-Link ER605 gateway.

BASELLAN
BASELLAN Member Posts: 4
First Comment Photogenic
edited February 2, 2022 in Fing App #1
I have an Omada setup Gateway, Switch -EAP's, Switch and EAP's are (sort of) recognized. But even after helpen FING get the type and name of the Gateway (IP x.x.x.1) (TP-Link ER605 Gigabit SafeStream VPN Gateway), after a few minutes or after a new scan it says that (at ip x.x.x.1 there is a TP-Link SG2008P......which is my switch (ip x.x.x.4) so it tries to tell me I have two of the same devices (gateway and switch) of the same brand/type. Which is stupid.

Answers

• JoeeA
    JoeeA Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments First Anniversary

I too am experiencing ROUTER identification problems. In the past 30 days, Fing acknowledged my factory SPECTRUM Router, (Motorola) then called my router a “something I don’t remember” and today says my router is a “AVM” manufacturered in Germany. The IP address and BSSID numbers are the same but name/manufacturer continues to change over the past month.

should I be concerned?

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,
    To update, with the use of VPN enabled switches or repeaters, you may get these alerts as VPN hides the real network and makes it difficult for Fing App if it is same device or different. The device may change MAC address as well. To confirm this, you can check the MAC address of the device each time the alerts comes in and match if it is same MAC or different.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    JoeeA
  • BASELLAN
    First Comment Photogenic

Robin,

My gateway does not "hide" nor does it randomize MAC addresses. And it's always clearly visible by the network controller. Also, IP static, because it acts as gateway, DNS and DHCP server.

It's what you would call enterprise grade hard-(and soft-)ware.

But I've seen FING having trouble with more device recognition. My switch was recognized as an IP Camera....

All devices in this network use fixed IP (and MAC) addresses, only guests get random IP's (in a separate IP Range) and use the guest network.

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your message @BASELLAN

The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognised correctly e.g.

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fing.

- Limited information being offered by specific devices.

If you are using an Apple device to run the Fing app with IOS14 then please refer to this article which has detailed information on how to make Fing app work with IOS14: https://www.fing.com/news/private-mac-address-on-ios-14

Generic devices are those devices for which Fing was not able to identify the vendor and what kind of device it is. If there is any device in your house which is using any kind of internet(Wifi) then Fing App can show you all devices connected on your network. You can use this external link to know about the vendor of the device: https://aruljohn.com/mac/F45EAB

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • BASELLAN
    First Comment Photogenic

Speaking in generics trying to answer a really specific answer is somewhat.....well I with hold that comment.

Fing provides not only an automatic discovery, based on info published by the device and there, there it might be not all pertinent information are presented nor can they be found online. Where it some rogue, unknown, homebuild piece of kit, I might even concur it's the cause.

However, we are talking Enterprise Grade, top brand (TP-Link) hardware here, I can find the info on Google so to say.

Worse, when I, customize the data, fill in those fields..... Fing seems not to retain that data in some non volatile memory. Restart of the device, hell even a restart of the app .akes Fing lose its marbles.

Fing is still a cute product for some quick superficial (especially the free version) network device discovery, but it is not good enough to put money down for it. Sorry. These kind of things happen to often.

I.e. an Ethernet dongle on my laptop without Ethernet port, same thing, Fing keeps insisting, not withstanding going through the confirmation steps, that a new network is found. This happens while Fing is still running in the same instance, let allon after a restart/reboot.