Compromised iPhone?

I'm running Fing Desktop and Fing app, with a Fingbox connected to my Modem. I've been trying to figure out if my iPhone 11 (running 14.6) should show up with a ".lan" name extension. Does anyone else have a secure iPhone named ".lan"??

This phone has sketched me out recently, so I got a new phone. I now have 3 iPhones (1.another iPhone 11 for work, 2. this iPhone 11, and 3. a new iPhone 13). The naming issue is only seen on this particular phone, on both Fing Desktop and Fing app. This phone is never hardwired to ethernet. Whether the phone is in private Wi-fi browsing or not, Fing names both instances as ".lan" (please see screenshots below).

Neither of my other two iphones have a "Name", and neither of them have a ".lan" extension associated with them in Fing. I even reset the iPhone to factory settings.

Please see below:

Reset iPhone with Private Wifi MAC:

Reset iPhone with Private Wifi turned off:

(prior to reset) iPhone with Private Wifi turned on:

Can someone please help explain why this one phone has the .lan name in all instances?

This same phone also sometimes shows as "Heathernsiphone" with the "N" added and Fing created a separate user "Heathern". Is the naming a glitch observed in Fing? 

Answers

• Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 394
    100 Likes 25 Answers 100 Comments Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have not been able to locate an issue from the information you have provided, please provide a complete screenshot (erase any personal data).
    Robin_Ex_Fing
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Pixel
    @heatherlyf
    I have also replied to your personal email. Please check. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Finguserer
    Finguserer Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    that does not look like a problem,  I suppose your router is assigning the .LAN extension to your device.  other common extensions are  .local  or something like that.  don't worry about it.
  • heatherlyf
    heatherlyf Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    Thanks for your help! I guess my concern comes from this same iPhone keeps changing names, as well as the .lan extension. The DHCP Host Name keeps changing too. Is that normal?

The MAC addresses are the same, but there appears to be two instances of this phone with 2 different names. "Heathern" is creeping me out because I don't know where that name assignment came from. Would that have to be something that someone named it, or could it have shortened my last name?
  • heatherlyf
    heatherlyf Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    The saga continues... when I go to ping the suspected iphone this morning, I received an alert that the phone wasn't on the same network as my home network, but the network names are the same. Does this appear to be a "mirrored" network?

When I look at the digital fence, there are two other devices on that network within range. I don't recognize the MAC addresses:

When I pinged the suspected phone, I'm getting >50% packet loss:

And trace route shows:

Please let me know if anyone can recommend a security expert who could take a closer look at this phone to identify if it is indeed sending information to another party?
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @heatherlyf
    To address your query, from the last screenshot I can see it is a watched device. A watched device is which is roaming near your Fingbox area and your Fingbox detects the pattern and then you can set alerts for that device.
    If you check under network details of the device, it says it is "Watched".
    For more details on this, check this section: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/digitalfence-feature/
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!