Where does FingBox conduct it's Port Scan from?

Crowgrandfather
Crowgrandfather Member, Beta Tester Posts: 91
Second Anniversary 5 Answers 25 Likes 10 Comments
✭✭✭

And what tool does it use? Is the box itself running NMAP? If so what flags are used when scanning?

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,081
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Crowgrandfather, tagging @Robin_from_Fing and @Dylan_From_Fing.  Let's see if they can get you an answer.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

And what tool does it use? Is the box itself running NMAP? If so what flags are used when scanning?

The Vulnerability Check tool is used to check for the router setup and find open ports via UPnP and NAT-PMP that may lead to external access, and close them. There are 65535 ports on your router but don’t worry, they are not all permanently open.

Secure ports are either opened manually by the owner of the network or, like with a lot of consumer-grade routers, by inbuilt protocols, such as UPnP and NAT-PMP.

These protocols are designed to save users the effort of having to manually open ports – they give permission to the devices within the network to open ports on their own.

The test scans the Internal Router Audit which checks the router addresses, the NAT configuration and whether or not  UPnP or NAT-PMP is activated.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Crowgrandfather
    Crowgrandfather Member, Beta Tester Posts: 91
    Second Anniversary 5 Answers 25 Likes 10 Comments
    ✭✭✭

That was a lot of non-answer that doesn't actually answer anything I asked. I know what port scanning (not vulnerability scanning because Fing isn't actually doing real vulnerability scanning) is.

What I don't know is where it's doing the scanning from or what flags it's using.

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,081
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin_from_Fing, here is a link to nmap's flags in case you were wondering (and if Fing uses this)..  https://nmap.org/book/port-scanning-options.html

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2022 #6
    Thanks @Marc
    @Crowgrandfather
    I have little information for this and I am seeking developers advice and as soon as there is a reply, I will update you. thanks again
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!