Devices scan gives wrong info

I installed Fing to identify/solve some wifi-connection issues. That has not been successful yet but it may still come.
But I am getting some extra issues: wrong messages from Fing. The last one is the message that my NAS went offline. At the same time, my Sonos is still playing songs from that same NAS and Finder connects without problem.
I wonder where/how Fing gets the info about the NAS being offline (even after refreshing several times) if I see from different perspectives that it is wrong.
Thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,802
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jokkebal, Fing does occasionally get devices wrong for various reasons.  If you go through each device and identify it via the app (Type, OS, versions etc..), that should make things more accurate for you.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Jokkebal
    Jokkebal Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi Marc, thanks for your reply. I already identified all devices, checked MAC and IP addresses and so on. So I am positive that it was the NAS. Since then, I also received the message that the Macbook on which I was working was offline as well. As if the docter tells you that you are dead :)
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,802
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For the MacBook, Apple has something called private Mac addressing under whatever WiFi network your connected to. As long as you trust your own WiFi, it should be harmless to turn that off. If you don’t, the laptop might present a different MAC address each time you connect and throw fing off.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...