How does Fing handle a WiFi Range Extender?

AustinJerry
AustinJerry Member Posts: 105
Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper
✭✭✭
I have recently installed a Tp-Link RE450 WiFi Range Extender in my bedroom to provide a more robust network connection to a number of devices in that room.  The RE450 extends both my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless networks, as well as providing a wired network port for a 4-port hub.  The RE450 currently provides connectivity for five devices.

In the Fing app, the RE450 is shown, but its state is "not in network", and the IP address is 0.0.0.0.  Each of the five supported devices are also shown in Fing, but all also have IP addresses of 0.0.0.0, and show a status of "Device in range".  Because of the state of the devices in Fing, things like "Alert me when state changes" don't work.

What are the issues that prevent Fing from managing devices behind a device like the RE45-?
Fingbox owner from the beginning

Comments

• AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, I thought this forum was a place to get answers and feedback.  But since posting what I thought was a reasonable request for information, nothing but crickets.  I will certainly be reconsidering paying any money for premium status in the future.
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @AustinJerry
    To address your query, are you using another router as range extender or any other device? If you are using any other router as range extender then that device will create its own network gateway and block Fing from reading the devices behind that network
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    As I said in my original post, I am using a TP-Link RE450, which is a dedicated range extender, not a router.
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    Once again, Crickets.   When I view the Fingbox network, the RE450 shows as "In Range", and the IP Address shows "Not in network".  Yet when I mange the RE450 directly with its app, the device clearly has an IP address, and is showing as having 5 managed clients.  All of the managed clients are showing in the Fingbox network as "Not in network".

When I scan my WiFi network directly from my iPad, i.e. not using the Fingbox network, the RE450 does not even show up.

Honestly, I have no idea what value either Fing or Fingbox has for me.  It seems to be totally ineffective in managing my network.  Disappointing.
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @AustinJerry
    First, Can you confirm if you have all access points added to your Fingbox network. You can check this by checking all BSSID under network tab. If you haven't done that, then connect to all access points one by one and then go to Security tab and open wifi intrustion and then add the bssid to your Fingbox network?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!