Fing Desktop 2.7.1 doesn't install automatically

I've received notifications on my Windows 10 PC that "Fing version2.7.1 has been downloaded  and will be automatically installed on exit" ... BUT it doesn't.
Previous Fing desktop updates have installed automatically, but this one doesn't seem to want to.

What's the solution?
Tagged:
AdmiralPRobDmiquelotllHUNKll
4 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @AdmiralP
    Can you try to manually re-install Fing desktop and then check? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    miquelot
  • AdmiralP
    AdmiralP Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi -
    What I did earlier today before seeing your response was:
    I located the fing-updater folder in my C:\<my user>\AppData\Local folder
    In that folder I saw a sub-folder named "pending"
    and in that folder was a file named Fing-2.7.1.exe
    I double-clicked on that .exe file and the update ran through and I now have Fing Desktop version 2,7,1 running on my Windows 10 PC

I have been using Fing on my PC for at least 2 years now, and this is the first time I had any issues with the automatic update,

reards
    donfingVABellemiquelot
  • donfing
    donfing Member Posts: 8
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    I had the same problem, and this recommended fix worked for me, too. 
    I found the executable here.    Double-clicked the file <Fing-2.7.1.exe>, and the update ran OK
    miquelot
  • miquelot
    miquelot Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Hello, the same thing happened to me, too. I executed exactly what you wrote and it went very well many, thank you very much. Problem solved  :)
  • DavePB61
    DavePB61 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    Also same problem and same solution. First time this has happened for the update process.
  • paolo_monza
    paolo_monza Member Posts: 6
    First Comment Photogenic
    I followed your suggestion while installing Fing, but after installation procedure:
    1. Inside the folder <AppData/Local/fing-updater/> I found only <installer.exe>

2. While checking Control Panel, Fing seems to have been installed

and yet, when starting Fing app, this is the result:

The procedure has been repeated  several times. Same results.
    What can I do?

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi All,
    Hi,

If your Fing desktop is not updated automatically to the latest version then please try the following steps and the issue will be resolved.

For Windows:

Please check your system tray on your windows machine if Fing Desktop is running in the background. If yes, then open "Task Manager" and close the Fing desktop application and then reboot your device.

Upon rebooting, open Fing desktop again and it will automatically update to the latest version.

For MAC:

Please open "Activity Monitor" and quit all Fing agents running and Fing desktop as well. After that, reboot your device and open Fing desktop again.

This will load up all features on Fing desktop and will automatically update to the latest version.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @paolo_monza

If you are using Wireshark then please uninstall Wireshark as it also uses NpCap library which may create a compatibility issue with Fing desktop.

Can you try to reboot the windows device and then check? if restarting PC hasn't helped to resolve this behavior, these commands may be useful to windows (to launch from Command Prompt as administrator):

• Stop service command: sc stop Fing.Agent
    • Start service command: sc start Fing.Agent

If this is unsuccessful, please check under Services.msc and restart the Fing agent service. Here is an external link on how to do that: https://www.minitool.com/news/how-to-open-windows-services.html

If this is unsuccessful, it may the case that the Fing Agent service has not been installed correctly. Please follow these steps and the issue should be resolved. 

-> Uninstall WinpCap using Revo(if possible) 

-> Disable the Npcap driver service and then uninstalled the program. To disable NpCap: 

- Run this command as an admin: sc.exe config npcap start= disabled
    - Uninstall Npcap

-> Reboot your device to safe mode with networking 

->Download and install new Fing desktop version and then open it. 

-> Reboot to normal mode and then check if it works for you. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • paolo_monza
    First Comment Photogenic
    Sorry to say that the problem has not been solved.
    Wireshark isn't installed (unknown)
    There is no Fing.Agent in services.msc
    WinCap is not present (unknown) and so Ncap driver
    In .../AppData/Loca/fing-updater/ I  find only installer.exe (2.7.1 release)
    I see Fing 2.7.1 in my system tray, but when started, it shows the same window "Servizio Fing non trovato".
    Anywhere thank for your interest.
    Paolo
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @paolo_monza
    Here's the beta version for Fing 2.7.2, with the fix for future installations

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • paolo_monza
    First Comment Photogenic
    Dear Robin, installation went right but when opening nothing changed.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Dear Robin, installation went right but when opening nothing changed.

Can you share the screenshot of the error? Any Antivirus/Firewall used? Any VPN used?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • donfing
    donfing Member Posts: 8
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    This problem creates no error message.     The installation process seems to be initiated successfully.   But then it fails to proceed.    No error is flagged.     The problem is the absence of an installation.   
    NO VPN is used.    Microsoft Windows 10 with only MS antivirus, no other virus software protection.  
  • paolo_monza
    First Comment Photogenic

• paolo_monza
    First Comment Photogenic
    No VPN. Antivirus AVIRA (since 10 years).
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    No VPN. Antivirus AVIRA (since 10 years).

If you are using Wireshark then please uninstall Wireshark as it also uses NpCap library which may create a compatibility issue with Fing desktop.

If this is unsuccessful, it may the case that the Fing Agent service has not been installed correctly. Please follow these steps and the issue should be resolved. 

-> Uninstall WinpCap using Revo(if possible) 

-> Disable the Npcap driver service and then uninstalled the program. To disable NpCap: 

- Run this command as an admin: sc.exe config npcap start= disabled
    - Uninstall Npcap

-> Reboot your device to safe mode with networking 

->Download and install new Fing desktop version and then open it. 

-> Reboot to normal mode and then check if it works for you. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • paolo_monza
    First Comment Photogenic
    Dear Robin, You rewrote the instructions you gave me in post # 9 of November 17th.
    As I told you, Wireshark is not installed and I don't even know what it is. The same for WinCap and NCap.
    In the meantime I have installed Fing on my smartphone and tablet (both Android) and there have been no problems.
    But another problem has arisen. 
    I measured the signal quality of the home Wi-Fi router at the same time with the tablet and the smartphone. I placed them next to each other and I started the test at the same time. 
    The values found by the tablet are very different from those of the smartphone.
    I repeated the test several times, but the problem has not gone away. 
    Here is a photo of one of the tests.

I also made a video, you can find it here:
    Had this ever happened to anyone?
    Can you explain the reason?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @paolo_monza
    Can you confirm if you re-installed Fing desktop under safe mode or normal mode? When you tried to reboot Fing agent service from "Services.msc" list. Did it correct the error or still the same?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)