Why is Amazon showing as my ISP plus other connectivity issues? DNS/DHCP/Speeds

I have always used BT (for my sins) as only they could provide FTTP.
I have had decreasing performance over several months, failures to connect to web-sites and
random disconnections, 
Recently I find that Amazon appears to be providing the ISP service? Can this be true?
I wonder if this is related?
Concurrently there are errors reported for the DNS and DHCP plus performance issues, these are getting worse/more frequent over time. 
Download speeds are also falling considerably.
Does anyone know what this is all about?  Is Fing reporting correctly?  If not, how can I remedy this?

Best Answers

• jeandominoserver
    jeandominoserver Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
    Second Anniversary First Answer First Comment Photogenic
    #2 Accepted Answer

I would not so much classify that as an "undocumented feature" as much as the amplified results of either an over-subcribed VPN Gateway (either by subscribers or simply throttling your bandwidth in the name of the infamous "fair usage policy").

However it is good to read you have pinpointed the root cause of the issue and even better for the community that you shared your findings.

For that alone i salute and thank you sincerely.

Steve_b
  • jeandominoserver
    jeandominoserver Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
    Second Anniversary First Answer First Comment Photogenic
    #3 Accepted Answer

You may be looking for 200Gb out of a VPN and that may be achievable but the cost of that VPN subscription will dwarf your internet subscription.

Even on a Corporate VPN i hardly ever reach 150Mbps yet by using properly refines QoS one can make great usage of such bandwith.

I am usong privately one of their subscription and you can see that even with their own hardware in place they can only guarantee up to 90Mbps ...

https://www.libertyshield.com/Home/OrderHardware

Steve_b

Answers

• Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 246
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @Steve_b this looks like there may be dns problems, but I can’t be certain at this stage. However it’s highly unlikely that you’re connected to Amazon ISP.

First restart your Hub/router/modem (depending on your setup) this is often a quick fix.

Then, if that didn’t work, as you cannot change the DNS server on BtHubs or smarthubs it has to be done in the NIC properties.
    You can try using 
    • For IPv4: 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1. which is the Cloudflare DNS servers (they are also much faster than BT’s DNS servers) alternatively you could use the google dns servers 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.1.1
    The method of changing dns depends on which operating system you use & which device(s). If you need further assistance please provide this information.

Cheers.
    jeandominoserver
  • Steve_b
    Steve_b Member Posts: 10
    Photogenic First Comment
    Hi Pixel,
    I have been continuing to investigate and believe I have found the source, if not the solution.
    I am running Norton VPN.  Previously reported I read that this could slow things down by up to 20%.  Whilst accepting this I wasn't prepared for it to slow things down by 70-80%!  I was slowed from 180-200 Gb/s to just 40-50!  Wonderfully undocumented little feature ;-)
    Perhaps it is a throttling down to that level, rather than a percentage that Norton applies?
    Needless to say, once I stopped the VPN, everything returned to normal, DNS, DHCP, BT connection status and speed issues.

Re. another VPN.  I am in the UK using W10/11, BT FTTP.  Is that what you needed to know?  I look forward to the possibility of finding out about a more effective VPN that can support the speeds I am wishing to attain.

Thanks again.
    jeandominoserver
  • Steve_b
    Steve_b Member Posts: 10
    Photogenic First Comment
    Thanks everyone for your support and thoughts.  I too especially like being thanked for my feedback.
    It's not so difficult to switch the VPN off if extra bandwidth is required, but to leave it on for routine use.
    Pragmatic solutions are often the most effective!