Fing loses all edited names and icon types

I keep having this issue which has gone on for more than a year. I have about 45 devices on home network and have painstakingly edited all names and icons so that I recognise the devices in Fing. Randomly Fing loses all edited names and icons. I have not logged off or deleted anything, it just loses everything. I recently bought a new laptop and the issue is the same on this. So it is not device dependent. Its just such a pain to re-enter in all names and icons. Anyone else seen this? Any way to fix it or prevent from happening?

Thanks

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,028
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @VeggieK...  Usually this happens if you have private Mac addressing turned on your devices but in your case, I am kind of doubting you have 45 devices that actually support this.  Please confirm you don't and I will also tag @Robin_from_Fing to see if he can help you out.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin_Ex_Fing
  • VeggieK
    VeggieK Member Posts: 37
    10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hey @Marc, I can confirm I definitely do not have private mac addressing turned on. @Robin_from_Fing, any suggestions please how to resolve? I have done the usual log in and out and removed application and reinstalled.

Thanks!
  • VeggieK
    Hi @Marc and @Robin_from_Fing - not sure if this helps or not, but yesterday evening, all names and icons reappeared in Fing desktop with the edited names I created and everything looked good. However this evening, everything has disappeared again and names and icons defaulted to original. So whatever is causing the issue seems to be variable. Any thoughts?
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking out loud...  Does the PC you have the desktop running on have two networks?  Like maybe a wireless and wired network it uses to connect with?  If you do and Fing is active on both, I wonder if that could be your issue?  One network did the scans and had you enter all that information where the other network did not.  So depending on which is your primary connection, you are sometimes seeing data and sometimes not.

We need @Robin_from_Fing to confirm the theory or if you do have two connections, disable one and then the other and see if the data comes back as each one is flipped.
    Robin_Ex_Fing
  • VeggieK
    @Marc, thanks for this and a great idea, but my laptop is only connected via wifi and never on a wired network. Hopefully @Robin_from_Fing will have some thoughts on this one
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    One more thought...  Do you have a mesh network?  If you do, could your connection to one of the nodes versus the other appear to fing as if your on a different network?  I think there is a way to solve this but would need Robin to chime in.  Thats all I can think of, all tapped out of ideas at the moment...
  • VeggieK
    ok, now you have possibly hit the nail on the head ..... I have a mesh network in the house. There is the main wifi router and 2 "pods" around the house. I am not sure how to tell which device I am connected to?? Hopefully @Robin_from_Fing can help here. Thanks again @Marc for helping with this one
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Linksys Velops and the mobile Velop app will say which node your connected to in the connected devices list.  Maybe if you have a different brand it can do the same?
  • VeggieK
    I am using Virgin Media Hub4, which is their 1Gbps service with their mesh pods, which I think could be Plume devices but not 100% sure. I have not managed to find out which device I am connected to
  • VeggieK
    OK I think you have identified the problem. I have turned off the mesh devices and allowed laptop to connect to the main router. Now when I run fing desktop all edited names and icons have reappeared. If I turn the mesh pods back on, then the issue reappears and I get default names. So it looks like fing desktop sees the pod as a new network. @marco_from_fing ... any ideas how to resolve? Thanks @Marc for this!!
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Marc
    With Mesh networks, the issue may arise as it may create duplicate network for Fing desktop or Fing app and thus losing all device customizations.
    To correct this, please make sure all Access points are added to your Fingbox/Fing desktop network to identify it is same network.
    Try to connect all access points one by one and then run the device scan. After that go to account settings> Account data> Synchronize.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Marc
  • VeggieK
    Hi @Robin_from_Fing, thanks for this. Just a couple of quick questions. Do I access synchronisation through the web account and click on the wheel icon and select sync customisations from there? If so, which option do I then chose ... import if missing or overwrite?

Also it is very difficult to know whether my laptop is connected to the original router or one of the mesh pods? I cannot easily tell. Is it possible to tell through fing desktop?

Thanks
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2021 #14
    @VeggieK

In order to add the access point for Fingbox, first you need to be connected to the access point network which you want to add. Then open the Fing App and open the Fingbox network from the Home tab. Go to the ‘Security’ tab and select either Wi-Fi Intrusion Protection or Wi-Fi Performance and you will be able to add the Access point for the current network your device is connected to. You can only add the Access point either from the Wi-Fi Performance tab or Wi-Fi Intrusion Protection tab.  
     After Adding the access point, you will receive the New Access point alert and you need to accept it as a trusted gateway and the access point will be added successfully.

On Fing desktop, you can see the current AP you are connected to. It may tell whether it is Mesh network or router.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@VeggieK , some of the mesh network vendor apps can also tell you what node a host is connected to. Linksys’s mobile app supports this for instance. You should see if your vendor supports this.

• VeggieK
    edited November 17, 2021 #16
    ... thanks for the info, unfortunately I do not have a fingbox. This seems to be a crucial part of the instructions. Is it essential?

@Marc .... unfortunately Virgin Media who provides the router and mesh network do not inform the user which node they are connected to.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @VeggieK, did you mean to tag Marco or @Robin_from_Fing?  Trying to sort out so the right person responds...
    Robin_Ex_Fing
  • VeggieK
    oh apologies i meant to tag @Robin_from_Fing .... my bad!
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    VeggieK said:
    ... thanks for the info, unfortunately I do not have a fingbox. This seems to be a crucial part of the instructions. Is it essential?

@Marc .... unfortunately Virgin Media who provides the router and mesh network do not inform the user which node they are connected to.
    To address this, if you dont have a Fingbox, then Fing app will only scan the access point you are connected to. There is no way to merge all different access points from mobile app.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • VeggieK
    Thanks @Robin_from_Fing, thats a real shame but at least I understand this limitation and also the complexity when running a mesh network. Thanks again!