DNS Question Again

It's been a while and I only have a quick question. I have learned a lot even though I have no solution. Fing keeps giving me notices that I am connected to the net but DNS @ is not. One jerky guy at the Bitdefender site told me well of course you have one internet connection and one DNS. My problem was that nothing I sent them in their forms like this ever got there but if I sent it from Gmail it did, This was so nice to find out. I should have googled the problems a long time ago. Now my question is could Fing itself be causing this? I have a Laptop without Fing and it of course does not give me the warning even if it's there because Fing isn't. Would appreciate
any ideas. The text below is from Google:

At a minimum, you'll need two DNS servers for each Internet domain you have. You can have more than two for a domain but usually, three is tops unless you have multiple server farms where you would want to distribute the DNS lookup load. It's a good idea to have at least one of your DNS servers at a separate location. Jul 28, 2003

Thanks
Ken

People also ask

Is it safe to use 8.8 8.8 DNS?

Should I use Level 3 DNS?

Why do I have 2 DNS servers?
8 Answers. The major point in having a secondary DNS server is as backup in the event the primary DNS server handling your domain goes down. ... A secondary DNS server is always up, and ready to serve. It can help balance the load on the network as there are now more than one authoritative place to get your information.

Best Answer

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,712
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #2 Accepted Answer
    In your cases above, there are a number of checks its done that are not reachable like Facebook, WhatsApp and Wikipedia.  This could be because of a firewall setting etc...  Can't tell from just the screenshot.  Your DNS issue is that while the primary is reachable, the secondary is not.  That could because the entry was mistyped, or the firewall etc is blocking it like the other addresses.

Keep in mind that Fing cannot fix any of this, it can only tell you that it see's something wrong and allow you to fix it through your normal configuration methods.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...

Answers

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ken20, the idea of having multiple DNS entries is if one of them is unavailable for whatever reason, the system will use the next one etc till it gets a response.  In Googles case, which I use, its 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as the two entries.  

Not all devices have way to give a third entry or on home routers giving DNS entries via DHCP have the ability to give a third, but many do.
  • Ken20
    Ken20 Member Posts: 30
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Thank you Marc I have at least learned a lot more than I ever wanted to know about Routers and DNS. Yes, indeed I had an engineer at Bitdefender tell me that with one internet connection one should only get one DNS. I finally turned to Google to find out the truth and it appears as you say that you should be connected to at least 2 in case of a failure. Some folks get 3. I was not blaming just wondering. The only adverse effect I have encountered is that I can't mail Bitdefender support. My speed with a VPN is still up to 450 Mbps. I love Bitdefender otherwise but am planning on dropping them when the expiration date is reached. Thinking about Malwarebytes. I don't know how your great program works or I would not have ventured the question about Fing. Thought maybe it was in conflict with something else I have on my system. I just bought a Netgear Nighthawk AC900. I am hoping that solves everything.
    Thanks, you have cleared up a little more of my people. when I run your DNS program IT shows DNS1 connected and Dns2 not. As I said I would not even know this were it not for Fing. Is there a way to force it to use

GoodDay
    Ken
    Okay, can my problem be fixed with Fing -- or is there a way to make it connect to another DNS -- I don't do social media so I guess all it's says there is it third to connect to that Facebook Domain.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This might interest you...  A number of services were down earlier today, including a few in your report.  This could have been your issue...  See this link from ZDNET for more...
  • Ken20
    Ken20 Member Posts: 30
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Thank you Marc I had a long talk with one of Spectrums higher tier techs. He offered no solution and pretty much admitted that that was standard for Spectrums' new Advanced modem. I have the Netgear sitting on the counter waiting for me to work up the courage to proceed.
    I like your information  -- without it, I never would have known. Routers to me are plug and play but I guess I should install the Netgear  -- they have free tech support for 90 days - after that, you pay for it. Thank You all
    your help. If I remember right my Fing license is good for only one computer - I ask because I would like to try it on my Laptop.

Again Thank You a bunch.
    Ken20