UPnP And Layer 3 Forwarding

Hello, can anyone please explain what UPnP/ and everything highlighted in pink ? My router/network details didnt always display as shown in pic. I’ve reached out to internet provider in regards to (along with slow/no and or no connection issues and “unsually high network traffic” alerts from Hulu and Disney + and often/ random connectivity loss Ethernet ) never getting any clear answers, after a series of questions, do some tech stuff on there end, reboot etc after doing so router info is back to normal for about .5 of a day then I’ll recheck and network details will have changed back to UPnP layer 3 forwarding.. Please explain what EXACTLY it ALL means? Thank you 😊

Best Answers

• Scooby
    Scooby Member Posts: 178
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    #2 Accepted Answer
    Do you have Comcast Xfinity for your Internet access?
  • ShabbyChic333
    ShabbyChic333 Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic First Comment
    #3 Accepted Answer

Yes

• Scooby
    ✭✭✭
    #4 Accepted Answer
    In all honesty, that is a good question. I would have expected to see the "Layer3Forwarding" and both "WAN" items not showing, if they were disabled, as they are, in your case. The site does mention it can take up to 24 hours for the Wifi Hotspot to be disabled or enabled. However, I have a feeling that is not the case/you have had it disabled for a while. My apologies for assuming those UPnP services were linked to the Xfinity Wifi Hotspot, and making other assumptions. The only other reasons I can think of them still being enabled, is if a "guest" network is enabled, as most routers have that option, if it is always enabled via the router's firmware/code, if it used for your "regular" home wifi network, or if UPnP is enabled within your "gateway". To check, take a look at this link:

I would make sure both UPnP and "Zero Config" are both disabled. I should have asked that first.

Dm2503

Answers

• AlwaysFeelLike
    AlwaysFeelLike Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Wondering the same thing I’m new here

• Scooby
    ✭✭✭
    UPnP stands for "Universal Plug and Play". For computers, it is used to automatically configure devices, when connected. For example, if you connect a mouse to your computer, it will "detect" it, install a driver, and let you know you are now able to use the mouse, all without you (possibly) having to do anything. For routers, it is a way to automatically open "ports" for devices, so they can used by other devices, or "communicate" through the ports, over the Internet. Most routers have an option to turn it on or off, and, for security reasons, it is recommended to turn it off. Your router has a "firewall". The firewall is used to keep your home network safe, by not letting "unwanted" Internet traffic in. It uses "ports" to allow "wanted" traffic in and/or out. Think of your house as a firewall. It protects you from the elements, wild animals, and other people. Your windows and doors are "ports". You can open and close them, as needed. When open, they allow things in, and when closed, keeps things out.

Layer 3 Forwarding is a bit more complicate to explain. Your router is a "layer 3" device, meaning it forwards data to where it needs to go, in or out. It operates at the "network layer". Your router has two networks. A "local" one, where all of your devices connect to, and the "Internet" one, where you get your IP Address from your ISP, so you can reach the Internet. On your local network, all of your devices can "talk" with each other. However, when a device on your local network needs to go to a website, your router "forwards" that information to the Internet side, so you can get to the website, and when the website sends information back, makes sure it gets to your device. Layer 3 Forwarding is, how I understand it, sending data from one network, to another.

Why I asked if are with Comcast Xfinity, is they have a Wifi Home Hotspot they offer for their customers and home routers they provide. Your Arris TG1682G is one of their "modems/routers" that have that service. The Wifi Hotspot is separate from your home/personal wifi. It is not supposed to affect your network speed, or data rates, and at no additional charge. Two additional network signals are created - xfinitywifi and XFINITY. Individuals who already have a Comcast account can connect with their user name and password, and have access to the Internet, without being on your home wifi/connection.

So, I believe the two signals they create are done "virtually", using private MAC addresses. The Layer 3 Forwarding is used to route the traffic from those two network signals, to the Internet side of your Arris TG1682G router, using UPnP, so your home guests can reach the Internet, and does it in conjunction with the WANCommonInterfaceConfig(1) and WANIPConnection(1), which are also UPnP.

It is possible to turn off the Xfinity Wifi Home Hotspot, but I believe it is safe to keep it on. If you do a port scan of your router, but find many ports open, then I would be concerned. I believe the routers use UPnP for those three items, but do not enable UPnP on the router, itself, so any device can use UPnP to open ports. You may need to ask Comcast about that. We do not have Comcast in our area, and I don't use it. But that is what I believe your router and Xfinity is doing. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will post. Hope this helps.

Dm2503ShabbyChic333
  • ShabbyChic333
    Photogenic First Comment

Wow that’s amazing! Thank you for the detailed info, finally a clear answer! You should educate/train Xfinity’s team of techs. So if I’ve ALWAYS have those features set to “Disabled” why do they appear to be still active? It’s even set to disabled in Gateway admin.

• ShabbyChic333
    Photogenic First Comment

Thank you again for the clarity. However after reviewing linked article, UPnP has and still is set to “Disabled” in Admin yet it’s still up and running /active. Public hotspot ( xfinitywifi ) and Private ( XFINITY🔒) remains broadcasting / active as well, while Admin, App and website display as being “Disabled “ and has been set / showing as “Disabled” way past 24 hrs . So now my question is if there is an issue with the gateway ? I know this is a Fing forum ( apologies for the xfinity inquiries ) however fing app is how I became aware of the UPnP connections an prompted me to raise questions, to which Xfinity could absolutely not provide clear, relevant, knowledgeable answers. Online search results had little details. Thanks again. I had recently asked an Xfinity support tech ( prior to disclosing my disabled UPnP connection/activity ) if fing app/ products ar reliable, trustworthy, valid, credible etc …Response was “Yes fing is “ but could not explain UPnP and why it’s enabled when it’s disabled in all network settings. I don’t want to jump to conclusions but it seems Xfinity continues to broadcast their public/private hotspots/UPnP regardless if we’ve disabled them in our network settings. The enable and disable options shouldn’t be available if customers really don’t have a choice /control over those particular service features. Xfinity should be more forthcoming with policies /details /info . In Network /Control Settings there should be a

Disclaimer - “ The red disable button in admin , the slide buttons “Turn On / Turn off and Disabled” on app and website are merely for “entertainment purposes ONLY” it’s purpose is to mislead customers who don’t wish to participate in assisting us ,Xfinity in freely expanding our coverage to the public at their expense and who are tech challenged who may require false confirmation such features are disabled. The options are available solely to promote a false sense of security and if and or when changed to Disabled/turned off no actual changes made and Xfinity /equipment will continue to broadcast public/private hotspots in addition to UPnP accessibility. Please Note Disable and Turn On/Off options are for ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY! 😡😂😂

Shooter
  • Scooby
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that would seem to explain it. If you are still seeing "xfinitywifi" & XFINITY, then it would seem it is not disabled, even though it "says" it is. I wouldn't be able to tell if the "gateway" is bad, though. What I would try, and I know it sounds counterintuitive, is to "re-enable" the wifi hotspot in the App and/or website, wait 24 hours, then go back in and turn it off. If after another 24 hours it shows disabled, but is still broadcasting the "xfinity" & "XFINITY" hotspots, then, unfortunately, you'd need to contact Xfinity. If they can't explain why, then it wouldn't hurt to ask for another gateway. However, you'd have to setup your home network again.