Can someone explain to me why i have 2 arris touchstone gateways but one is listed as printer

Answers

• STEPHANIE148899
    STEPHANIE148899 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited September 22, 2021 #2

Also i like to add my ip range onky goes from 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.125 that ip of the "printer" says 10.0.0.254 and also sometimes it will be offline then other times its on and like my xbox is says its activly online but it powered off right this min too

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,885
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi,
    Thanks for your post. I am sure our moderator can guide you well. Any advice @Marc

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,712
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This is interesting…. The first, 0.1 looks to be the standard gateway for the router.  The .254 looks to be a reserved address used for admin access to the router.  See this link for what I found researching this.  
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • AikMink
    AikMink Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

think this is a print server service running on your router and it is using it's own IP address

• Scooby
    Scooby Member Posts: 178
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    Your Arris TG1682G has two USB ports on the back. Do you happen to have a printer connected to one of those USB ports? If so, like @AikMink mentioned, some routers will act as a print server, when a printer is connected to a USB port. Often, they will use the .254 IP Address for it. Have also seen routers act as a file server, when USB hard drives or "thumb" driver are plugged into the USB ports, too, and use the .254 IP Address, as well. If the printer goes into "sleep" mode, Fing may show it as offline. As for the Xbox, sometimes it takes several minutes (15?) for Fing to recognize a device is offline, when it has been turned off.
  • ShabbyChic333
    ShabbyChic333 Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited October 3, 2021 #7

I have 10.0.0.254 showing up as well.