High CPU usage from fingagent.bin on MacOS

danmichaelo
danmichaelo Member Posts: 1
On macOS Catalina, fingagent.bin starts using > 30 %, but after a few minutes grows to > 100 %. Killing it just causes it to restart with > 30 % CPU usage. Is there any way to stop the agent while keeping the app. I only use the app now and then to troubleshoot things, so I don't really want a agent running in the background all the time. Especially one which eats my CPU.

As a temporary solution to preserve some battery, I ran

sudo launchctl stop com.fing.service.plist
    sudo launchctl remove com.fing.service.plist

Comments

• Paulb4333
    Paulb4333 Member Posts: 0
    First Anniversary
    edited January 29, 2021 #2
    Hello, I have been a fing user since just about the beginning. It's been a great tool. However, since I upgraded to Big Sur and installed on a brand new MacBook Pro, it has consumed 80-96% of resources. Force Killing it causes it to go away for a while then it shows back up. The new M1 chip is very fast, but it slows to a crawl when Fing takes over. I've removed and reinstalled it, to no avail. Wondering if some uninstall remnants remain as the uninstall seemed to only take a few seconds.
    I've reluctantly removed it again. Wondering if there are others with this issue and if there is a fix.

Thanks
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Paulb4333

I have got in touch with our developers and I would like to share that GPU is used seamlessly by our UI framework to render pages and graphics. 

You can disable this utilization but maps won't be working on Fing desktop. To disable Hardware Acceleration, click on the Fing desktop version and then go to 'Preferences' and then 'Disable Hardware Acceleration' which will fix your issue. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Frostproof
    Frostproof Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    Using desktop 2.6.0, I did as Robin suggested, but fingagent.bin still using 100% of a cpu.  What else can I try?
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Using desktop 2.6.0, I did as Robin suggested, but fingagent.bin still using 100% of a cpu.  What else can I try?
    Can you please ensure the hardware acceleration is disabled? Also, Can you close the Fing app and then check if the Fingagent is still utilising CPU? Can you send me the picture of the Task manager if you are using Windows or activity monitor if you are using MAC so I can investigate further? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Frostproof
    Frostproof Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited June 25, 2021 #6
    On activity monitor just now, it was at 99% cpu for fingagent.bin and Fing was NOT running.  I started the app and checked the status of hardware acceleration: DISABLED.  But the cpu usage dropped to < 1%.  I quit the app and the usage has stayed low.

I think yesterday I did NOT start the app after changing that setting and quitting.  So, for now anyway, your instructions seem to work.  Thanks!
    Robin_Ex_Fing
  • CanadianJoe
    CanadianJoe Member Posts: 6
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    Hello all,
    Using Fing desktop version 2.6.0 I see consistent high CPU usage from Fing.Agent.

Have tried:
    -Disabling Deep Scan from Network tab
    -Disable hardware acceleration
    -Removing and reinstalling Fing app.

Stopping the Fing.Agent service only offers a temporary reprieve. Is this a bug?

Thanks for any feedback!
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @CanadianJoe
    Are you using Windows or MAC device?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • CanadianJoe
    I am using Windows 10 - 21HA (19043.1110)
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I am using Windows 10 - 21HA (19043.1110)
    Thanks. When you close the Fing desktop, does the CPU usage goes to 0 or not? 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • CanadianJoe
    No, the CPU usage stays consistently high whether or not Fing Desktop is open or closed.
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No, the CPU usage stays consistently high whether or not Fing Desktop is open or closed.
    In this case, how did you isolate the issue that high CPU is being used by Fing desktop if the cpu % remains high if the Fing desktop is closed. Can you share screenshot of this?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • CanadianJoe
    Hi there - because it is Fing.Agent (the service) that is causing the CPU usage, not Fing Desktop. I am just seeing the CPU usage in Windows Task Manager, whether or not desktop is running. I have had the service turned off since I started this ticket, so I will re-start the service and wait for the spike to happen again.

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @CanadianJoe
    Once the issue arise again, please try to uninstall Fing desktop using any 3rd party uninstaller like revo and then reboot device and then re-install and check if the same thing happens again or not?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • CanadianJoe
    Hello Robin,

Here's Fing.Agent doing it's thing with the CPU - it basically stays this way until I turn off the computer or stop the service. In this case I have not opened Fing Desktop today although it is in my system tray. Let me know if you need any other details.

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @CanadianJoe
    Can you disbale Fing desktop from auto-start up from the tasks manager and open fing desktop preferences by clicking on your name and then select 'Preferences' and then disable 'Hide Fing at boot' and 'Launch Fing at boot' and then close Fing desktop and reboot device. This should resolve the issue.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • nyit
    nyit Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    We're having the same problem - high fing agent service CPU - regardless if Desktop app is running or not. Windows 10 fully updated.
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    nyit said:
    We're having the same problem - high fing agent service CPU - regardless if Desktop app is running or not. Windows 10 fully updated.
    If fing desktop is not running and you are getting high cpu usage by Fing desktop agent then it is running in background. please make sure it is disabled from start up and then check again
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • CanadianJoe
    Robin said:
    @CanadianJoe
    Can you disbale Fing desktop from auto-start up from the tasks manager and open fing desktop preferences by clicking on your name and then select 'Preferences' and then disable 'Hide Fing at boot' and 'Launch Fing at boot' and then close Fing desktop and reboot device. This should resolve the issue.
    Hi Robin,
    Update on this - Fing Desktop has been has been disabled as you note above and is NOT running now. But it does not seem to make any difference. However, I have noticed one thing. This high cpu usage only seems to happen when I am working in the office. When I am remote (most days of the week), it does not occur. 

I noticed it last week, and this morning I am in my workplace office and it is happening again. Odd thing is, I connect to this network every day when remote via VPN, but when inside the network, the agent usage goes high and stays that way until I disable to service or leave the network. Once I am remote, the agent settles down again.

I hope this is helpful in some way.

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @CanadianJoe
    This is strange. I will pass this on to developers for review. I will get back to you once I have new update.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

I have got in touch with our developers and I would like to share that CPU/GPU is used seamlessly by our UI framework to render pages and graphics. 

You can disable this utilization but maps won't be working on the Fing desktop. To disable Hardware Acceleration, click on the name on Fing desktop and then go to 'Preferences' and then 'Disable Hardware Acceleration' which will fix your issue. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • h0bd0b1in
    h0bd0b1in Member Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited September 26, 2021 #22
    I have got in touch with our developers and I would like to share that GPU is used seamlessly by our UI framework to render pages and graphics. 

You can disable this utilization but maps won't be working on Fing desktop. To disable Hardware Acceleration, click on the Fing desktop version and then go to 'Preferences' and then 'Disable Hardware Acceleration' which will fix your issue. 

This actually doesn't fix the issue as this is GPU related, not CPU related (and related to the Fing client, not this Fing agent). The `fingagent.bin` process is consitently consuming approximately 50% of available CPU cores (in my case, ~200% CPU as it is a quad core laptop) regardless of the hardware acceleration setting and whether Fing is running or not. See below screenshots:

`fingagent.bin` running without Fing itself running.

`fingagent.bin` consuming the same amount of resources with Hardware Acceleration disabled and Fing client not running.

`fingagent.bin` consuming the same amount of resources with GPU Accel enabled and Fing client running.

`fingagent.bin` consuming the same amount of resources with Hardware Accel enabled and Fing client running.

What exactly does this fingagent.bin service do, since it runs as a root daemon? I don't see any option in the client to disable any background processing of data or monitoring. Is this agent supposed to remain running on client exit in order to provide Fingbox-like consistent monitoring of the network?

As for post-app-removal, the daemon should also check if the app has been trashed and, if so and if possible, remove or disable the LaunchDaemon at /Library/LaunchDaemons as well as gracefully exit. Trashing the app and even emptying the Trash/Bin does not unload the daemon despite it being located inside the app package. For anyone who stumbles across this looking how to kill the process, once you've trashed the app, open Activity Monitor, locate the `fingagent.bin` entry, and kill it from there.

At any rate, anything running as a daemon should never be consuming half of a system's available CPU unless the system is used explicitly for that purpose. Otherwise, you're just choking a poor user out of resources! This just smells like poorly optimized code to me.

Note: I am running Fing 2.7.0 on a 2019 MacBook Pro running macOS Monterey beta. Someone mentioned running 2.6.0 earlier as well as the OP running on Big Sur on an M1 chip so this is obviously not isolated to a particular system or version.
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @h0bd0b1in
    With new version installed, is the issue still happening. If yes, then i would advice to uninstall Fing completely and then reboot device and then re-install the application. If you have disabled Hardware acceleration then CPU or either GPU usage should not be high.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • flafing
    flafing Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    I have a similar problem - the Fing service (Fing.agent) uses a lot of CPU (but not all the time, but after some time of usage). When I stop/start the service it works fine again - but only for a while, then the high CPU use starts again.
    I haven't used Fing Desktop that long but I'm "experimenting" a lot with my network - different setups, different hardware and so on. But the Fing service *should* 'calm down' after it has had time to discover / analyze the current network setup - but it doesn't. Only stopping / starting the Fing service helps (and only for a while).
    So it seams that Fing gets 'confused' and then loops somewhere in the code.
    The recommendations to disable auto-start isn't really a solution - just a circumvention to avoid high CPU usage.
    I hope you can fix this. If there is some possibility to enable debugging or trace on the Fing service pls let us know - we could then send it to Fing to be analyzed (I don't think that I would like to post it in a public forum)

ImaxinarDM
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    flafing said:
    I have a similar problem - the Fing service (Fing.agent) uses a lot of CPU (but not all the time, but after some time of usage). When I stop/start the service it works fine again - but only for a while, then the high CPU use starts again.
    I haven't used Fing Desktop that long but I'm "experimenting" a lot with my network - different setups, different hardware and so on. But the Fing service *should* 'calm down' after it has had time to discover / analyze the current network setup - but it doesn't. Only stopping / starting the Fing service helps (and only for a while).
    So it seams that Fing gets 'confused' and then loops somewhere in the code.
    The recommendations to disable auto-start isn't really a solution - just a circumvention to avoid high CPU usage.
    I hope you can fix this. If there is some possibility to enable debugging or trace on the Fing service pls let us know - we could then send it to Fing to be analyzed (I don't think that I would like to post it in a public forum)

Fing desktop may use CPU or GPU. It is used seamlessly by our UI framework to render pages and graphics.  

You can disable this utilization but maps won't be working on Fing desktop. To disable Hardware Acceleration, click on the name on the left corner and then go to 'Preferences' and then 'Disable Hardware Acceleration' which will fix your issue.  

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • flafing

@Robin_from_Fing The *service* ('Fing.Agent') is using a lot of CPU, not the UI (and I didn't mention problems with the GPU – just high CPU). This high CPU (50%) happens even after the UI part is stopped (also stopped from the tray - so only the Fing-*service* is active)

But just to test it again I have disabled the Hardware Acceleration, stopped both Fing UI and service, and then just started the service again (not the UI)

Important note: I use a USB to RJ45 adapter, and the problem occurs, if I remove the USB to RJ45 adapter from the PC – but not if I just remove the RJ45 cable from the USB adapter

After restarting the Fing.Agent service I did the following, which immediately got the CPU up to 50% :

I unplugged the network cable (by removing the USB plug from the PC)

Now the CPU went up to 50%. I then plugged in the network cable again (by putting the USB plug back in the PC), waited for 10 minutes - and the Fing.Agent service still used 50% - and now - about 20 minutes later, it still uses 50% CPU

So, it seams Fing can't handle the situation, where the active network adapter (the USB to RJ45 adapter) "disappears". Many laptops today don't have a build in RJ45 port, so it isn't an unusual setup (In other words: Fing should be able to handle this).

I hope you can acknowledge that this is a software error in the Fing.Agent service - Fing.Agent can't handle sudden changes as described in the environment well and starts to loop (until I stop and start the service).

PLEASE don’t say : “It must be your USB to RJ45 adapters fault” – the adapter works flawless otherwise – only the above situation with he Fing.Agent service has ever been an ‘issue’.

• flafing

@Robin_from_Fing The *service* ('Fing.Agent') is using a lot of CPU, not the UI (and I didn't mention problems with the GPU – just high CPU). This high CPU (50%) happens even after the UI part is stopped (also stopped from the tray - so only the Fing-*service* is active)

But just to test it again I have disabled the Hardware Acceleration, stopped both Fing UI and service, and then just started the service again (not the UI)

Important note: I use a USB to RJ45 adapter, and the problem occurs, if I remove the USB to RJ45 adapter from the PC – but not if I just remove the RJ45 cable from the USB adapter

After restarting the Fing.Agent service I did the following, which immediately got the CPU up to 50% :

I unplugged the network cable (by removing the USB plug from the PC)

Now the CPU went up to 50%. I then plugged in the network cable again (by putting the USB plug back in the PC), waited for 10 minutes - and the Fing.Agent service still used 50% - and now - about 20 minutes later, it still uses 50% CPU

So, it seams Fing can't handle the situation, where the active network adapter (the USB to RJ45 adapter) "disappears". Many laptops today don't have a build in RJ45 port, so it isn't an unusual setup (In other words: Fing should be able to handle this).

I hope you can acknowledge that this is a software error in the Fing.Agent service - Fing.Agent can't handle sudden changes as described in the environment well and starts to loop (until I stopand start the service).

PLEASE don’t say : “It must be your USB to RJ45 adapters fault” – the adapter works flawless otherwise – only the above situation with the Fing.Agent service has ever been an ‘issue’.

• mbrazil
    mbrazil Member Posts: 13
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    I recently uninstalled and then reinstalled Fing Desktop 2.7.0 in the process of troubleshooting a non-related problem, and after reinstalling, fingagent.exe was using a bit over 16% of the CPU (Intel Core i7-5820K 6-core running at 3.30 GHz). After troubleshooting, I found that there were actually two instances of fingagent.exe running at the same time. One of them was using about 0.03% of the CPU, and the second one was using a little over16%. I have no idea how the second instance was started, but when I killed it, it didn't come back, and the overall CPU usage was and remains back to normal. I have no idea whether this is something that is happening to others in this thread, but it's worth checking, so I'm posting this in case it's of any help.
  • CanadianJoe
    All,

As the originator on this thread I can confirm the issue still occurs and it is a very specific set of circumstances in my case. I use my device at home on my wifi - never have this problem, even when connecting to my office network via VPN.

When I hardwire my device to the network at the office (an Active Directory network), it always happens without fail. Have to stop the Fing.Agent Windows service until I leave this network - no other way to stop it.

Certainly hope the devs are able to re-produce and solve this!

• Steve_b
    Steve_b Member Posts: 10
    Photogenic First Comment
    Agreed, completely true, and I get exactly the same.  After a reboot, without Fing desktop being started and not loaded to the system tray after a while here it comes again.  I review this using Resource Monitor, which is a real-time view of running CPU processes.  There appears to be no way to prevent this, have tried disabling the service, assigning the process lower priority etc.  Yet it always comes back.  Previous versions of Fing didn't seem to have the same problem, so please Fing, can you try and find why this happens, or you will be losing a whole load of customers to W*** Sh**k (sorry about using banned words)!

Thanks Fing, we know you can resolve this!
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @CanadianJoe @Steve_b
    If with the new version, you are still facing the issue then I would need the log files to investigate this.

For macOS : Open a Terminal window and write  
    sudo sh -c "echo 'overlook.fingagent.logging.level=INFO' > /Users/root/.fingagent/conf/fingagent.properties"  
    That will create the configuration file required to override the logging level. 

After that, please go to the paths below and send all the files from the location. 

Path 1: /Users/"Username"/Library/Logs/Fing 

Path for Service folder: /Library/Logs/FingAgent/log 

For Windows, Here's how to change the log level: 

STEP 1: Open a prompt window and write 

echo overlook.fingagent.logging.level=INFO > %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\FingAgent\conf\fingagent.properties 

That will create the configuration file required to override the logging level. 

STEP 2: Reboot the system (or kill the service manually, it will be started automatically my WindowsOS)  and repeat the issue 

STEP 3: Send us via DM the log files for the fingagent (in %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\FingAgent\log\), and let's see if we can recreate it 

Robin (Admin at Fing)